Sunday, March 27, 2011

Skirting finished

Today I skirted my last three fleeces and boxed them up to ship to their new homes. All that's left is Inky; I'll scissor her fleece off once it warms up enough for the old gal to run around next-to-nekkid.

Three of this spring's eight fleeces were new experiences for me - Blake's, Bunker's and Annabelle's. The first two are yearlings, and of course Annabelle and Bunker just moved here at the end of September. I loved all three, and am so glad to have them in my little flock! If they all produce lambs with fleeces just like theirs, I'll be a happy shepherd. Here is a close-up of Annabelle's:
It is very similar in type to her boy Bunker's, although his is much finer according to the micron tests. Can't really tell that much difference by hand, though!

Yesterday's egg collection included the first egg in months from Welsie, our Welsummer hen. If she keeps laying, she'll get better at pigment distribution and produce lovely chocolate-colored eggs, instead of eggs with chocolate speckles.

Last night I finished the second to the last chart of my beaded shawl; the end is in sight and I'm getting excited! Blocking this project will be another new experience for me; I need to buy some wires and T-pins.

And no, neither Annabelle nor Bronwen show any indication of lambing soon.

That's it for now from . . .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea Michelle! It is nice to have it done, isn't it?

Jeanne said...

Oh fresh farm eggs! YUMMMMMY I've only had them once, in Australia and I'll never forget it.

Anonymous said...

Those fleeces look AMAZING. I'm just learning about 'skirting' (did I mention I'm not even qualified as a newbie?), and it's great to see the 'finished product' of that step of the process. Love the eggs - as usual!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful fleece... The colors are incredible. I never thought much about wool til we fostered a shetland cross and adopted him. I'm looking forward to shearing and finding someone who knows what to do with it. Please show a picture if Welsie produces a chocolate colored egg.

Cloverleaf Art and Fibre said...

Oh that must be a wonderful feeling of accomplishment to have the fleeces done! I am going to try to live up to your example when we shear, probably in late May.

Laura said...

Hate to disappoint - my welsummers never did get past the spotty stage... They went to a new home!

Michelle said...

Donna and Margaret, yes, it is a WONDERFUL feeling to have it done (except that my left knee is killing me; better than my back, I guess). The thing that motivated me was advertising my fleeces. I had instant interest, and had to skirt and weigh to give prices.

Oh Jeanne, you are seriously deprived if you've only had farm-fresh eggs ONCE!

Laura, I''m going by past experience with Welsie. :-) I'll make sure and post a picture, Ruth!

Thanks, SheepKeeper, for both your wonderful comments here and on YOUR blog!

Sharon said...

I love how beautiful eggs are - little gems. I'm so out and need to drive over and get more from Mim but can't until Thursday. Tying the three of us together - when my daughter picked up Alexia, she was looking at the photos on my photo tree and saw the one of the five of us taken last summer at BSG that you printed and sent me. I named us to her as she doesn't know Becky or you, and she instantly realized you had made the comment about Alexia. It made me feel good.