Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thursday's theme

IN the garden:
And just OUTside the garden:
Yesterday Rick picked over 43# of blueberries at a client's farm, and we put them up in gallon bags in our new-to-us upright freezer. Our chest freezer is already full of strawberries, raspberries and a few other caneberries, plus all the grocery surplus and bulk items I get on sale and freeze to extend our grocery budget - and we haven't even gotten peaches yet! I remember once when a casual friend who is a big meat-eater and knows we are vegetarians was at our house and saw our chest freezer. He walked over and opened it while asking, "What does a vegetarian need a freezer for?" followed by "Wow; it's FULL!" Uh-huh, and thanks to that and my canning pantry, we eat well all year long on a slim budget, thank-you-very-much!

Right now we're eating from the garden. Monday's supper was a Thai-style curry full of golden cauliflower, new potatoes, purple onions, basil leaves, and the last of the broccoli, all from the garden, plus a few store-bought carrots and tofu with coconut milk and fresh lime juice, over brown rice. I didn't get the seasonings just right, but it was still pretty good. What's on your plate?

That's it for today from . . .

8 comments:

Unknown said...

now I'm hungry!

Marie said...

I'm coming for dinner tonight! Too bad your half way across the country!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Right now?
Scrambled farm fresh eggs; crookneck squash, fresh baby spinach, and cabbage all fried together; and roast beef hash :)

Michelle said...

YUM, Becky - well, except for the roast beef. ;-)

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

It sounds so delicious Michelle. You are a very thrifty person!

I'm trying, but I wouldn't consider myself as successful as you are at putting up food. I did get lots of rhubarb in the freezer though. And Clancy's potato patch is producing beautifully. Plus I traded a few loads of sheep manure to a lady who is giving us veggies from her organic garden. And I traded a butcher lamb this spring for all of my organic transplants.

What's on my plate? Home grown carrots and green beans (frozen from last year) potatoes, and one left-over diced up t-bone steak (completely trimmed!) in the crockpot for supper. Add homegrown spices and a bit of rice flour and it should be a good stew.

I'm afraid we are carnivors here. After the gluten, soy, dairy, corn, and millet, plus their derivitives are subtracted...I'm quite grateful to be able to eat meat. But we raise or hunt it ourselves or purchase from local farmers.

Enjoy your meal! :)
ps: your Thursday Theme could have also been "yellow" ;)

Michelle said...

Sabrina, it sounds like you are doing GREAT at utilizing all your resources to eat local and healthy. As for putting up food, I don't do nearly as much as my mom did; I could do so much better....

P.S. My Thursday Theme WAS yellow! The verbiage that came after was a distraction. ;-)

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

When I think of how my mom worked from morning till night growing gardens, canning food, butchering chickens & beef, milking the cow, picking gallons of berries, making candles....I know for a fact that I will never be able to even approach her productions. But then trying to eat homegrown/local foods is a choice I am making. For her it was not a choice but necessary survival. Our mothers were phenomenal, weren't they?

btw,loved your garden photos. :)

Sharon said...

Salad! It's too hot too cook.