Friday, May 11, 2007

Progress on the needles

Because inquiring minds asked, AND it's the shortest subject on my list of posting possibilities, here is what my current knitting project looks like. A week after I started it, the Baby/Little Boy Surprise Jacket is halfway done - woo hoo! I DID get to knit in the car both directions last weekend, thanks to someone else volunteering to bring two of my mom's suitcases back with them. (I shudder to think how we would have managed without that offer; my husband would probably have insisted on buying a roof rack....) This pattern is in a couple of Elizabeth Zimmerman's books; the book I have is Knitting Workshop. I think I'm going to have to track down the modified adult pattern to try, too.

By the way, Shetland sheep can read minds - from a distance! This morning I got the Polled Shetland Yahoo list daily digest from yesterday, and read a message about two very nice yearling ewes that would go to auction (read slaughter) if no one speaks for them by today. Since I'm contemplating buying a ram lamb with polled genetics, and since I'm looking to make some changes in my ewes to get richer color and increased softness for spinning, I made a phone call. Talk about bad timing; I have too much on my plate to be making any major decisions right now! But anyway, back to sheep ESP. After a long phone call and a flurry of emails, including some "advertising" two of my girls (I have to keep my flock at four, remember?), I went out to do chores. Feed horses, lead sheep to pasture, clean stalls.... I could hear Bella baa-ing from the sheep pasture, something she never does. Concerned that one of the builders working on the house going up to the south brought a dog along (it's happened once already), I went out to check on the girls. EVERYONE - not just my lover Valentine - crowded the fence for attention. In fact, Rechel and Bella, the two that would most likely be sold to make room for any newcomers, were the most demanding of scritches! Scary, huh?

That's it for now at . . .

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Well, that's livestock for you...constant change. ;-) I got the list, too, but wasn't looking closely at it (good thing). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Tina T-P said...

Oh, that sweater is going to be pretty - is Brian getting excited?

Glad you had a nice weekend and time with your folks - and it was nice weather too :-)

Well, back to work, my accounting is calling me. Have a great weekend, T.

Franna said...

Oh yes! They can read minds. No sooner do I put one on the "list" than they start being friendly, cozying up to their shepherds, begging for chin scritches when they never have, and on.... It's hard to think of Shetlands as "just sheep."

shepherdchik said...

Wow, you got a lot of knitting done during your drive time!