Saturday, May 12, 2007

And the winner is . . .

Who knows! But it sure was fun to watch the lamb races at Franna Pitt's EverRanch last Sunday morning -- I think it was the highlight of our visit (no slight intended to all the other aspects, Franna!). With only one lambing season with two ewes under my shepherd's belt, I've never gotten to see a whole pack of tiny, exuberant lambs racing first one way, then the other, until they are mouth-open panting. It was a delight beyond words . . . .

But there were many other enjoyable aspects to our farm visit, not the least of which was this handsome tom turkey. His hens were off sitting on eggs, so he had nothing better to do than sit here and gobble.

The main reason for visiting Franna, however - besides picking up the fleeces that didn't sell at Shepherds Extravaganza - was to see BOYS. Franna has ram lambs for sale (of course), but also has a proven ram that she might consider leasing if he doesn't sell. I went to see and, more importantly, FEEL this prospective flock sire. Of course, the chance to examine several little boys to hone my eye and hand was most welcome, too.

After adamantly stating that Boulderneigh will always be a "ram-free zone," I hate to admit that I am tempted to purchase one. I think the gulmoget pattern in Shetlands is striking, and Franna had THREE born this year - a ewe and two rams. Both ram lambs had the possibility of being polled, but only one is showing evidence of carrying a polled gene by having tiny little scurs instead of the typical prominent horn growth.

This is the one who could persuade me. We'll see how things work out.

That's it for now at . . .

4 comments:

Kathy said...

He sure is a cutie!

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

I'm in love!!!

Kathy said...

Ah...go on...you know you want to! ;-)

shepherdchik said...

Is that the one with Polled genes? Are you thinking of breeding for that? He sure has a pretty color of fleece - what a cute handbag that color of wool would make!