Thursday, December 16, 2010

Quiet transformations

Annabelle is quietly, slowly, gaining trust in me. She's been willing to eat grain from a pan I'm holding for some time; lately she has been willing - sometimes - to take grain from my hand. She still doesn't immediately make the connection that a hand may contain good things to eat, but she's learning. (It's challenging to keep the other sheep from gobbling up the grain while she figures it out!) She is also letting me touch her occasionally while nibbling her grain.


The "chicks" have been transforming into beautiful young hens. The Speckled Sussex now have irridescent feathers on their backs. Muffy has developed more gold (lemon?) on her breast, while Buffy is staying mostly pearl-colored.

The sarccacocca bushes, barely noticed on the north side of the house, are quietly putting on buds. Next month their tiny white flowers will perfume the whole yard.

My HansenCrafts miniSpinner oh-so-quietly transforms fiber into yarn. I'm filling up my first bobbin's-worth with white longwool; I plan to use it for a fulled project like a bag. Towards that end I've been perusing lazy kate options, and yesterday I ran out to Woodland Woolworks to see what they had that might work for the big WooLee Winder bobbins. I noticed an interesting little tool tucked away on a bottom shelf and picked it up. Hmmm; removeable post and pins meant it could not only accommodate three WW bobbins, but also break down into a small packet of parts for easy storage. It had no price tag, so I asked owner Diane about it. She looked it up and told me it was a Jennie Plyer, and since Forsyth is no longer selling these wholesale and it was her last one, she offered me a good deal on it. After I took it to the register, the clerk asked about a bag she thought came with it, and Diane found that, too. Inside were more wonderful parts, like six mini-bobbins and a tool to attach one to your orifice to fill it. When I read the instructions, I realized I was getting a much more marvelous tool than I first thought, and am totally thrilled with my purchase! (Thanks, Diane!)

That's it for now from . . .

7 comments:

Tiggeriffic said...

Oh you got a golden nugget~! So happy for you ~! Somedays we need to find things like this~ fills the day with excitement.
ta ta for now from Iowa..
We have 5 inches of beautiful snow and it's still snowing.. I love it~!

Michelle said...

Annie, I love your descriptive name! While I was writing this post, it came to me that Nugget and Pearl might be more suitable names than Buffy and Muffy for my new Easter Eggers now. I'll have to consider that. I already have a lovely Easter Egger (Morgan) who I call pewter and gold, but the more chicken-knowledgeable call her a lemon-blue, I think. Regardless, she's beautiful and I think Muffy/Nugget may turn out similar.

Nancy K. said...

Don't you just love your electronic spinner? I would so love to get a Woolly Winder and a bunch of WW bobbins to go with mine. They're not cheap, though!

Looking forward to having time to spin, someday soon...

Michelle said...

Nancy, I only have ONE bobbin, because of the expense! I'm hoping Rick gets me one or two more for Christmas, but with the Jennie Plyer, I can get by without them.

Christine said...

Not only do you have something green and growing but it's going to bloom soon?! Seriously? Arrgh! We had another 3 or 4 inches of snow last night and it's not even winter yet.

Theresa said...

Oh, that Jennie Plyer looks fantastic. What a great idea and what an even better find!
The ladies are all looking quite lovely and what wonderful progress with Annabelle. Such a pretty girl.

Diane said...

Glad it's going to work well for you! Forsyth products are really good and I was heartbroken when they stopped wholesaling. Enjoy!!