Sunday, December 26, 2010

Had ourselves a merry little Christmas

(Warning: Photo-heavy!)

Christmas Eve Rick stayed in bed a second day in a row, which wasn't much fun for any of us, but did give me the chance to make a solo run to Salem. Brian had seen a wee loom there during Magic at the Mill that he wanted, and after coming home and doing some online looking, I decided that it was probably the best of its sort for him to play with (my mom wanted to me to buy him one to have under the tree). The retail shops at the Mission Mill Museum were open, so I dashed down and did some last-minute shopping there, and elsewhere. I'm not sure I've EVER shopped on Christmas Eve before; Costco was a zoo but I had the stores at the Mill all to myself. I learned that the shops are separately owned but they co-op the space, and the lady on duty at the register was the owner of the yarn shop, Teaselwick Wools. We had a nice visit; I told her I had posted photos of her shop on my blog so she asked for the addy, and I purchased a book to support her. I also picked up this cute sheepy ornament in another shop there and a late little gifty too perfect for a friend to pass up, along with Brian's loom (I added the yarn at home).


I filled my first (BIG!) bobbin using my HansenCrafts miniSpinner, so Christmas Eve I got out my Jennie Plyer and set to work using it. I filled all six of her little bobbins as full as I dared, and still ended up with a huge cake of singles. I thought everything together on the table made a lovely fibery Christmas still life. (Rick says I have two more bobbins coming for my mS; yay!)

On Christmas Day we went to church, potlucked with friends and visited through the afternoon. I took along my supplies and knitted up my fourth mini-sweater - the pastel one that will probably be saved as a baby shower gift decoration (colors poorly captured). The other two are numbers 2 and 3 from leftover sock yarn; I just barely had enough yarn for #3.

Brian survived until we finally got home and opened presents last night. My sister and BIL sent him a very cool "tin can robot" kit, which he wanted to build right away. It proved a bit challenging, so he recruited Rick's help:

Of course, the dogs weren't left out. Jackson opened the package, and he and Dozer each got an edible Nylabone. Jackson devoured his within minutes; Dozer is taking his time enjoying his:


While Rick and Brian were working on the robot, I bit off probably more than I should have and tackled my first six-ply yarn from the Jennie bobbins. It was a tangled mess much of the time, but I got it done. Now to skein it off for Brian to weave with, and two-ply the rest from the center-pull cake. I think I'll use mine for a fulled bag.

This morning I helped Brian get started with his first weaving project. He did well and seemed to enjoy it; we'll see if he keeps at it or not. It's a good day for indoor activities; it is cold, wet and windy outside!

The fire inside's delightful at . . .

6 comments:

Nancy K. said...

It sounds like you had a fibery fun day! I can't imagine trying to make a six ply yarn! I've got all I can do to keep TWO bobbins from ending up a tangled mess. Then again, I do tend to over spin my singles...

I'm glad to see that Rick's feeling better and hope you and Brian stay well.

Anonymous said...

I love the little shops in Salem. My sister lived in Independence and Salem for years and is now in an Assisted Living Facility in Monmouth, so when we come to visit (I am in Gold Beach, down by the California border), I try to hit some of the shops. I especially love going to all the farmer's markets when we are up there. All your yarn activities look like fun. I am still trying to learn to crochet without it looking like a 2 year old did it, so I am no where close to spinning, etc. I might try some felting this year with the wool from our Suffolks. Happy holidays!

Sharon said...

What a fun post. I hope Rick is feeling better, though he's smart to go to ground when he feels the need. We all should probably do more of that. Brian's weaving is spot on perfect! Love the sweaters. I'll have a stock of them ready for *next* Christmas. Thanks for sharing the idea.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Um, yeah, that would be a CAKE of yarn. Yikes! I'm seriously impressed!

Laura said...

If Brian enjoys that, I'm getting ready to warp both of my looms. You guys should come down - I'll set something up that he can work on while we visit!

Michelle said...

Thanks, everyone; Rick seems fully recovered and Brian and I are still well. Playing with my mS has been so fun, as is seeing Brian playing with fiber as well.

Laura, that sounds WONDERFUL! Brian could enjoy himself and so could we! I still need that hat lesson, too. But I'm not sure how Rick would like us taking off for a whole Sunday.... You need to retire! heh