Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Mineral deficiency?

You should see me in the morning, shaking a can of grain to take my sometimes-following, sometimes-wandering little flock down the driveway, through the arena, and out into the lower pasture. What a blessing to have some grazing to stretch my meager supply of "sheep hay" (third-cutting orchard grass)!

This morning Dinah was the last one in the pasture. Oddly enough, my Miss Piggy didn't even check the grain pans for crumbs; she went straight for the horizontal bars of the panels enclosing the arena, licking off the condensing moisture.She kept at it long enough that I decided to grab my camera. When I came back, I noticed that Brava was doing some licking, too.Apparently that didn't give her enough of what she was after, so she went for a mouthful.I think I'd better check their mineral feeder!

That's it for now from . . .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of our goats do that too!

Deb said...

Not sure what it is with the metal on the gates.....I see the cows doing it as well. Those great lonnnnnng tongues wrapped around the metal bars :)

The cutest blog on the block website has been under renovation. perhaps if you check it again, you might have better luck.

thecrazysheeplady said...

My crazy chickens go nuts for drops of rain that hang underneath the bars of our gates.

Kathy said...

I think it's probably boredom. Even though you have grass, for which my sheep would kill right now, I think this time of year they start doing these sorts of things for something to do.
Just so long as none of them get their tongues stuck on the metal, you're OK. LOL!

Double Dog Dare, anyone? :)

Anonymous said...

Silly girls! Makes ya wonder...

I think that your top photo of Dinah (?), the banner, would be excellent for the Orton effect. Try it out! :) I'd love to see what you come up with if you get the chance.

MiniKat said...

The white rabbit does that to her crate. Usually it means she wants out to play.

Rayna said...

Yeah...They're goofy. But it's FRESH water...REALLY fresh...lol

Anonymous said...

That is so funny that all types of animals all over the country do the same thing. I see my girls licking the panels as well. That is wonderful that you have some grass to stretch your hay - it is a good feeling :)