Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Daffy sheep

Yesterday was even nicer than the day before; it was positively spring-like! Brian and I spent the morning outside pruning and weeding, and admired the first daffodils, which of course were in the iris bed we cleaned out instead of the daffodil bed where they belong.

The girls spent another amiable day together in the pasture, but by afternoon they were acting like they thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence. Valentine eagerly took Brian's offerings, while the others hung back unless I approached the fence.Since it was getting close to evening, I decided it was time to invite them back to the Shetland Sheraton for the night (safe from mountain lions, bobcats and coyotes, you know). But everyone except Valentine decided that the dangers lay within, and refused to cooperate. (My kingdom for a good working dog -- or a pig named Babe!) I finally had to tie Val at the back of the pen and hide in the alleyway until they risked entry to get the alfalfa pellets, then jumped up and closed the gate. Hmmm, that wide, handsome gate is demonstrating its shortcomings for working with flightly little sheep!

That's it for now at . . .

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one who brings the flock in at evening time. I think you should paint "Sheep Dog" on Rosie and have done! :)
We've had beautiful weather too!

(And it's nice to see you're training your "Hand" "Helper" "Shepherd's Aide", etc. now so you can just sit on the pourch and let Brian bring the sheep in when he's older!)