Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wearable

Last night I finished my Abrazo vest. Even wove in all the ends! I made a large because my gauge was a wee bit smaller than called for, and I didn't want as much negative ease as it designed to have. (My mama always told me, "You look slimmer if your clothes aren't too tight.") I also made it shorter than specified for the size. I wore it today and have determined the front "straps" are too long, making the armholes too big (the front straps also want to curl). Unfortunately, I didn't check it for fit before grafting the shoulders together well enough to last a thousand washings, so I'm not sure I'll try to fix it. Will washing and blocking it help, even though it is made from synthetic (gasp!) yarn?

Rick took Brian to town for family swim at the community pool, giving me enough time to finish spinning the white alpaca sample AND ride my horse. The sun was shining and my spirits soared; those rays really do make a difference, even for those of us who don't think we are affected by SADD!

Finally, here is a "gratuitous green" shot taken today for Carol. I feel for all of you in the Midwest "deep freeze"!

That's it for now at . . .

10 comments:

Karen said...

Congrats on your pretty so vest and as it's -25 here right now-I sure appreciate the "green" picture.

Franna said...

Nice Abrazo! I love the color. The arms don't look too low to me, but you should be able to snip or pull out your seam.

- Franna

Deb said...

Beautiful vest - love the color. Thanks for the shot of green :)- 22 right now and nothing but crispy, crunchy snow :) Great knitting weather although I'm in a slump and nothing on the needles right now :(

Rosie said...

Would some rows of ribbing around the armholes and neck help?

You could pick up the stitches without undoing anything, and rib in the round.

melanie said...

Nice vest! And I am so jealous of the green...it's ten below here and VERY white....

MiniKat said...

Love the vest. Thank you for the "green." I stopped trying to determine actual temperature with wind chill an hour ago. We'll call it "bloody frigid" and white for now.

Laura said...

You can (gasp) cut it apart just one row above where you want to re-graft it. Trust me, it won't fall apart! Also, the ribbing idea that Rosie suggested would work, as would garter stitch around the edges. Just several rows would do it. As for blocking (shudder) synthetic yarn, if you hold your iron on high steam slightly off the surface of the fabric, that will help. Don't put the iron on the surface of the fabric - it will flatten the stitches.

Good luck!

country girl said...

Very nice Abrazo. Can't offer any advice; just looks great on you.

Anonymous said...

That first picture is very pretty. I love the sheep on the green grass. Thank you for the sheep blanket info-I will be looking into those for this coming fall.

Anonymous said...

if you ever want to trade fiber for spinning let me know. i have lots but no spinning wheel. you can contact me thru email or on shetlands site. thanks.