Tuesday, April 01, 2008

No fooling; I'm preparing

Rick flies out tomorrow for a ISELP conference (The International Society of Equine Locomotor Pathology) and will return late Sunday night. I have asked him to provide me with everything I could possibly need for a lambing emergency in his absence. I don't think Rechel will deliver that soon, but figured I'd better be prepared. The general law of the universe seems to be that if you are prepared, you won't need to be, but if you're not, you'll be sorry. Let's hope that holds!

While the DH is gone I hope to successfully spin my "final exam" fibers as well as do some knitting. I'm back to work on the Sonnet's sleeves after swapping my too-fine sari silk yarn for some with the right bulk that Becky had in her stash. Hurray - chalk another one up to internet/blogging connections!

The fledging chicks are getting perilously close to being able to flutter out of their box, but they have to wait a while longer for Rick to finish the poultry palace. He needs to replace some rotten plywood on one side, then set up the yard. We've been noticing some activity just over the fence; Sunday we caught the neighbor out working on his project and learned he is building chicken digs, too. Apparently the neighbors plan to crawl in on their hands and knees to gather eggs....

Speaking of crawling, this morning Brian was on the floor playing with his dog when he crawled under Jackson's belly. Made me realize how much Jackson has grown in four short months! I asked Brian to do it again so you could see:

One last thing. This morning's bright sunshine revealed an "OOPS!" that made someone feel a bit the April Fool. Maybe I'll share that story tomorrow. Maybe not. Maybe I'll just include a couple photos and let you guess. Hint: it has something to do with pigeons trying to move into the barn-shed.

That's it for now at . . .

11 comments:

Tina T-P said...

My immediate response was "Oh, poo" - and then I realized, yup, that 's what it was - Oh, poo. LOL.

Very sweet pics of Brian and the ewe - made me smile. T.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Looks like someone shot that window!

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

Since both our front and back door (one of them) parallel each other and are large and almost completely constructed of glass, our home serves as the final resting place of many a dessert bird. Sometimes it will just knock them out but more often than not, they break their poor wee necks (which is an excellent reason to put off washing the windows, that and the difficulty of climbing a ladder with a broken ankle).

BTW, I always said the ewes would lamb when David was gone but it didn't happen this year. Someone is smiling down at me.

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

Oooops. That's desert bird, not dessert (though if I leave them there, I suppose they will become someone's dessert).

Nancy K. said...

Jackson IS getting big! He still has that "puppy look" though.

Sharon said...

The last picture made me gasp and say, "ooooh." Not cool. LOVE the picture of the boys at play. Brian's a pretty lucky boy.

Kathy said...

I'm "batchin' it" too...I sent Ralph off to ISC West w/o me, worried about leaving very pregnant ewes to our sitter-person. She's great but it wouldn't be fair leaving her with waddling ewes. :) Early lambing for me next year!
Nice pictures, too...

Unknown said...

I think someone shot at the pigeons and hit something they shouldn't have!

melanie said...

Looks like another reminder that bullets fly a lot farther than we think...hmm...

Alaska Shetland Shepherd said...

LOLOL! Those ended up being very expensive pigeons too! HAHAHAHEHEHEHEHEHELOLOLOLOLOLROTFLMAO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>been there, done that, still sore in the butt from kicking myself all over...

Windyridge said...

Yikes.Well at least the window didn't break.