Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Start-somewhere September

I've been having a hard time keeping up with a lot of things lately, this blog included. I don't think my mood is affecting my productivity - I think my productivity is affecting my mood! I hate having things pile up on me....

ANYway, this post is not about my mental health. After not having a lot to say or show for awhile, I suddenly have a LOT - TOO much for one post. For example:
• our animals' mental health
• the latest from the chickenhouse
• knitting projects
• fiber acquisition (maybe I shouldn't admit that one!)
• our big day at the State Fair

In the interest of starting SOMEwhere, how about something that's not even on the list - food and flowers! Remember those peaches from a recent post? We're still eating a few from that box. Planned to get another box this week dedicated to the freezer, but when Rick stopped by Monday afternoon, our neighbor was sold out! If you heard a faint wailing in the wind that night, it was me. I could look around to see if other varieties are still available, but might just skip it for this year. We still have some pints from last year in the freezer. Our own Italian prunes will be ripe soon, and then local apples will come on. Our tomatoes are finally producing well, maybe even well enough to put a batch in the canner. The beans still haven't been picked and the zucchini is getting ahead of me, too.

As for flowers, there isn't much color at Boulderneigh right now. The dahlias are doing their best, but they got off to a slow start and I should have planted three times as many. I always forget that without them, we are bereft of color this time of year. I need to make sure that I redeem the gift certificates to Swan Island Dahlias from my MIL this coming season; a visit to their annual festival this coming weekend should inspire me.

I did notice this tiny cluster of flowers on one of my Gold Mound spirea this morning. I got a total of five sad little plants on close-out at Lowe's and they are such pretty little shrubs now. It was a good save. :-)

Okay, here's one thing from the list. Our animals are lonely. Poor Jackson was shut in the laundry room for four days in a row with hardly more than potty breaks because we were out and about for various reasons, and his love cup is dry and parched. (Not that I can show you, because I find it nearly impossible to get a good photo of him!) Bronwen told me this morning that she needed loving more than grain, and Oreo was even hitting up our farrier for attention today! Brian is shown trying to fill her furry needs.

That's it for now at . . .

6 comments:

Tammy said...

The critters sure don't take (perceived) neglect well around here. Talk about guilt trips! Glad to see you back with fodder for several posts. This time of the year can be bittersweet I think.
Tammy

Kara said...

It is a very busy time of year, glad to see your back.

Christine said...

Not much blooming around here either. Some of the leaves are even starting to fall. I'm trying to savor every last moment of summer. It will be gone before we know it.

Shula said...

Our color is coming from vegetables with pumpkins and spaghettis squash exploding from the garden. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your news but I know this is a a busy time of the year...although I wonder if there is a quiet time? lol. Fiber acquisition? :)

Theresa said...

OH NO, neglect so bad that the farrier is a source of attention! ;-) You'll know it's really gotten out of hand when the vet visit is an anticipated event.
Lucky you making it to the state fair. I think about it every year and then never seem to get my act together enough to actually get there.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Heck, Weaslie's been so neglected (she thinks) that she was excited to run into our farrier in town today.

I keep telling myself that winter will soon be here and I can get everything all caught up - hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sigh.