Friday, August 23, 2024

A one-rein stop

The horse people among you know that the title describes a last-ditch method of regaining control of a panicking or headstrong mount. That's what I had to do to manage this week's blog post. Life is running away with me right now, and as soon as I loosen the reins by hitting 'Publish,' off we'll go again!

Last Saturday it rained; we got nearly half an inch. That gave Rick a window of safety on Sunday to mow the middle and upper pastures without risking a spark. The upper pasture's fence is partly down to accommodate the shop's construction so it's off limits to livestock, but the ewes and lambs can go out on the middle pasture now. We turned them out through the small gate Sunday afternoon and starting cleaning out some of the accumulated bedding in the Sheep Sheraton so I could open and shut the big gate.


Bitsy and Blaise in the foreground, with the rest in the distance
Blaise and Bitsy kept to themselves which is not too surprising as they have been living in the extra horse stall – until I noticed Bitsy lying down instead of enjoying the room to move. I investigated and she arose, three-legged lame. So the farmhands switched gears to veterinarian and assistant. Rick was sure Bitsy had a broken bone in her left front, but took multiple x-rays and could not find one (Bitsy might glow in the dark now). I had been pondering how to arrange quarters to wean Bitsy, but for now she's back in the stall with her skinny old mama Blaise to rest and heal whatever got injured.

The rest of the ewes and lambs continue to go out, scrounging what they can and getting hay at night (instead of twice a day):
The three yearling ewes; were any of these "mean girls" to Bitsy?

Or was it one of the adult ewes?

The other lambs, I'm sure, were innocent.
Tuesday morning the shop's footings were poured,

and on Wednesday, Rick's duties as the State Fair veterinarian began. The Fair officially opened today, but some of the animals arrived and started competing before that. We are up before dawn for the duration and Rick has to do another walk-through at the end of the day so gets home late; we both feel the disruption/abbreviation of our normal sleep routine. I enjoy more pretty sunrises now, though!

How many hot air balloons can you see? (click to biggify)

This is high-gear season for garden and fruit production, too, of course. I bought and froze two lugs of peaches, and our own apples and prunes will soon be ready to pick and process. I have been cooking out of the garden as much as possible but not enough to keep up. Looks like I'll actually get enough tomatoes for canning and/or tomato soup this year; the plants are loaded with more!
the constant state of my counter these days


Then there are the self-imposed stampedes involving yarn. I have been working hard for months to meet a challenge to spin and knit at least a pound of fiber this year. This week I finally cast on the sweater that's to use up 14oz (2oz yet to be spun):
it's a bit farther along now, but looks nothing like the picture yet
Ten days ago a four-week knit-along challenge was announced on Romi Hill's Ravelry forum, so I decided that would be great motivation to ply and knit an additional 5oz of 'Pink Grapefruit' Polwarth singles I spun earlier in the year. The challenge began a week ago today. Do you think I can get this

knit into this (sans beads; I'm not totally insane)
in three weeks???

"Did someone say 'stampede'?"


7 comments:

Denise said...

so sorry to hear about Bitsy's shoulder. hoping that heals up quickly and she is back to bopping around soon! Love that pink grapefruit yarn. Perfect for a crescent (citrus segment shaped?) shawl :)

Michelle said...

Denise, whatever is injured in Bitsy is slowly feeling better, as evidenced by bearing more weight on that leg. And what a clever connection you made between colorway and shawl shape – I hadn't thought of that!

Anonymous said...

We’re looking forward to seeing the fair on Saturday. My father-in-law’s wife is showing mini dairy goats with her daughter’s family. My sister-in-law and her family may come down from Portland as well. My girls (4 and 1) will have a blast as will hubby and I. I hope it will be a little cooler than predicted though.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, summer is supposed to return with a vengeance next weekend! The Fair should still be fun, but it’s hard on the animals.

A :-) said...

I was sure I commented but I probably forgot to click Publish :-D Everything looks so lush from your garden. I hope Bitsy will be OK, and I hope you'll get to have some fun at the fair! The grapefruit yarn is lovely :-)

marlane said...

The "one rein stop" caught my eye Michelle LOL. It looks like you are doing well . That shawl is awesome but it looks complicated ? I will post soon about my latest news. You enjoy all. I am sending healing for Bitsy.

Jeanne said...

I was just wondering if Rick was going to be at the State Fair again. He probably enjoys the changes in his days. We haven't gone to the big fair for several years. I miss it.

It's getting hotter here. We had 90 degrees today, and it's supposed to get still warmer through the big weekend. Groan!

I hope Bitsy is doing better each day. I'm sorry she was hurt.