Thursday, August 01, 2024

It's Hotgust

One third of summer down, two-thirds to go. Temperatures are climbing – or rather rocketing – again, after a July that was the hottest on record here. We will get through this. I think my choice of audiobooks helps; my life is so very easy and blessed in comparison to what so many others have survived. The latest was The Light in Hidden Places, a true story about a Polish girl who her risked her life hiding 13 Jews in her apartment during WWII. On the other hand, such stories also remind me how evil humans can be, especially in the service of power and politics. Too few remember the past so we can do better now. History repeats itself. Oh Lord, come quickly.

Garden production is picking up. Zucchini, green beans, cucumbers, and eggplant, along with greens from the herb barrel, are regularly on the table. Last night I made a recipe shared by my sister to rave reviews, along with Wilted Cucumber Salad (recipe from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest). Next I want to try this recipe from The Splendid Table. I'm thinking of harvesting the first beets to counter-ferment into pickled beets for myself, since my guys aren't fans. I also want to make the grated raw beet and apple salad recipe I got from a lady at church after she brought it to potluck last year; it's delicious and beautiful.  Eat your colors!
a few volunteer sunflowers in the garden are welcome

Bijou and Benchie needed bigger coats; all the yearlings look like adults now. I need to take the time to monkey-pick the lambs and coat them so their hogget fleeces can fetch the prices they will deserve. Three of them will have the once-in-a-lifetime gradient wool that comes from having the fading (Ag) gene; after that first fleece, they will be basically white.
Bench; I really like this ram

gulmoget Bijou is headed to a new home this fall in exchange for a katmoget


Toffee Bits, one of the Amber Star pullets, started laying this week. Surprisingly, her first egg was BIG, while her second egg was more of a pullet bullet. The Amber Stars' rich brown shells will add yet another color to the cartons; I love that!
two pullet bullets and a Whiting True Blue egg

How about some random scenic shots? Some of these escaped inclusion in the last couple posts, and others have been taken since my last post. Shared here from oldest to newest:
evening color reflected in the eastern sky

little gopher snake on defense (Chuckie batted at it)
Poppy got a new collar, but no class tonight due to heat
haven't seen many deer in recent years, but these walked right by the garden


I  wonder if this is the fawn Poppy found in our woods
Finally, fiber. Two of the people I proxy-shopped for at Black Sheep (sisters) sent me this beautiful, bountiful thank you package. Gobsmacked!

Sweater yarn with a spindle cushion/bowl I ordered; so helpful for fat spindles!

This fiber sample was included with the spindle cushion

I call this yarn "Texas hold 'em;" it was the fiber with the spindle that was lost and found in Texas

Four skeins of my sweater yarn washed and ready to cake for knitting

Plying what will be the fifth skein; I'll have seven skeins total
My name was drawn for a Tour de Fleece participation prize, and I ordered these two gorgeous braids from DivineDyeWork with my Etsy gift card. They'll be sweet treats to spin later!



That's it for now from . . .

11 comments:

Mokihana said...

All your photos are so lovely! I love the variation in subjects and colors. Congratulations on your TdF prizes...you're gonna have fun spinning those for sure. Love seeing the fawn and it's mom and your garden prizes. And of course, the sheepies! Your spinning is lovely.

And yeah, Hotgust is right... I'm ready for rain!

A :-) said...

Hot here again - and brutally humid. It was 81% humidity today when I went into the city. Ugh. I was, literally, dripping by the time I walked a block to the train station. Can hardly wait to see what pattern you choose for your sweater :-)

Michelle said...

You're so kind, Mokihana; thank you!

A, I've already chosen the pattern; it's the Ariya sweater (I think you can see it in my Rav library). It's lovely, and will work no matter how much – or little – yardage I end up with, as I can adjust the length of the sleeves if needed.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I'm interested in the recipe for the raw beet salad. I didn't grow beets this year but we do love them, and that sounds very good. Is the recipe online? Or can you make a post sharing it?

Michelle said...

PWaH, I'll just type the recipe for "Best Beet Salad
here.

1 lb. peeled beets, roughly chopped or shredded
8 oz. peeled carrots, roughly chopped or shredded
2 Granny Smith apples, roughly chopped or shredded
zest and juice of two lemons
1 T. EVOO
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 T. honey

Mix together and refrigerate.

Leigh said...

"Hotgust" says it all!

Such fantastic photos, Michelle. Nice to see your garden producing so well. And your yarn is always gorgeous.

Hopefully cooler weather is coming soon!

Jeanne said...

Hi Michelle,

Beautiful pictures! Except for the snake. The deer are so pretty. And so is Poppy. Your gifts for shopping for those people, are so lovely! I hope we'll see a finished project(s) sometime. Those are lovely fibers.

Take care

thecrazysheeplady said...

Beautiful! All of it.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Leigh. The green beans are taking a break now but there are beets ready to harvest now along with eggplant, cucumbers and summer squash.

Michelle said...

Jeanne, I think the patterns on the various snakes are beautiful, and can enjoy them without much reservation since they aren't venomous.

Glad you enjoyed the photos, Sara!

Retired Knitter said...

Your spinning is perfection.