Wednesday, August 07, 2024

Back in my comfort zone

Ah, solitude. It restores my inner calm, especially after a week of company with fluid plans and no schedules. My ideal life resembles a two-track lane in remote country – yes, even the 'ruts' (I like routine!). My reality, of course, is not so quiet; the unpredictable schedules of the other two adults in the house, inside and outside chores, three part-time jobs, regular visits to an old friend in a care home, responsibilities at/for church, and all the things I do for 'therapy' – playing with fiber, riding my horse, agility with Poppy (when class isn't cancelled due to heat), blogging.

For now, I am enjoying having the house to myself for a short time. Rick and Brian are off ocean fishing with a friend for a couple days; they left last night and come back tomorrow sometime. 

The dogs, of course, are keeping me company while I try to get a long list of assorted tasks checked off and eat leftovers.
Poppy tends to curl up as she runs cold
Leo tends to sprawl out as he runs hot




Getting stuff done is easier to do now that I am comfortable. My right knee/hip/foot had gotten increasingly painful, so on Sunday I gave up toughing it out and starting taking naproxen sodium. Oh my; I forget how draining pain is, besides making it difficult to be on my feet by day and to sleep by night! Now I feel like a spring chicken. 😁 I've gotten the dose down to one tablet every 36 hours, and may try reducing that to one every other day. But I DO plan to stay on it!

I've got my first four skeins of homespun wound and am ready to start swatching for my Ariya Sweater:
Rick finished a Tawhai (New Zealand Silver Beech) bowl; the bowl blank was a gift from a friend:


The biggest sunflower in the garden; the herb tank; the fading lavender with a butterfly:



That's it for now from . . .

10 comments:

Leigh said...

The pup pics are great. Good shots! Rick's bowl is absolutely fantastic. Beautiful work. And so is that yarn!

Nice that you have the house to yourself for a couple of days. A re-set is often in order when the days are busy.

Michelle said...

The stretches of quiet are a balm, Leigh; I'm savoring them. Thanks for all the compliments!

thecrazysheeplady said...

That's a beautiful sweater!

Mokihana said...

I totally understand about quiet time, and am so glad you had some for yourself. Recharging time for sure! I'm sorry you're in so much pain, though, and hope that it's short lived.

Rick's bowl is lovely, and the doggo photos are fun to see. And your sweater is going to be so beautiful!!

Michelle said...

I'm hopeful I can make one that fits me, Sara. You've made so many lovely ones.

Mokihana, my right knee has been giving me fits for well over a decade so I don't think the problem will be short-lived (the foot and hip may be subsequently related). But if NSAIDs work, I'll stay on them!

Denise said...

Love the handspun- and what a cool sweater pattern! enjoy the relaxation time :)

A :-) said...

Welcome to my world - I've been taking an anti-inflammatory (in varying doses) since I had plantar fasciitis in both my heels forever ago. I was on half the dose for a long, long time, but the second torn meniscus this past November jumped me up to the full dose. I'm glad yours is helping you. Got a chance to check out that sweater pattern - it's lovely :-)

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I really enjoyed reading this! I'm happy for you, with all the interesting things you do. Hoping that Rick and Brian's fishing trip was good and that they caught lots of fish.

The pictures of Poppy and Leo are cute. I hope the weather will be cool enough now, for you and Poppy can do the agility again.

I just found this post yesterday. Sorry for being so late in writing.

Take care.

Jeanne

Michelle said...

I did, Denise, although it was short.

Better living with modern pharmacology, huh A? 😉

Jeanne, they did catch fish and Rick has already given away his first day's catch. It was more for the experience than the fish; neither like it much and I'm a vegetarian. The weather forecast is looking MUCH more comfortable for awhile, for which I am thankful, and not just for agility!

Retired Knitter said...

Oh my, I have missed your dogs!!! My daughter used to have a Frenchie. I miss him.