Thursday, August 15, 2013

Baaalieve it or not, it's a sheep post!

Yesterday after I gave the visiting neighbor girl a lunge-line lesson on Breezy (she got to canter for the first time!), Brian decided to take Browning out and about on a halter to graze – showing off his sheep. ;-)  Boulderneigh Blake voiced his concern over being left alone, prompting me to do some ram maintenance. First of all, his coat was looking snug. Oh goodie, an excuse to drool over fleece!

He was also getting long in the hoof, so I gave him a pedicure with his clean duds.


I've said it before and I'll say it again; I really like this ram! Beautiful, smooth-polled head with proper wool coverage; excellent conformation; delicious fleece. His only fault is a woolly tail, but he hasn't passed that onto his lambs. Uh; about lambs. I haven't told Blake that I don't plan on him siring any this fall. I hope he doesn't kill me!

I called Franna today to discuss the timing of leasing her homozygous polled moorit ram Lil'Country Nightcap. My husband cannot understand why I am not using my own ram, but there is a method to my madness. ;-)   I have three breeding ewes, none of which are related to Blake and one of which (Annabelle) will be retired after this breeding season. If I get the keeper ewe lambs from my 2014 lamb crop that I'm crossing my fingers for, then Blake can be everyone's main squeeze for several years.

And yes, I got a photo of Browning – of Tour de Fleece fiber fame – too. And yes, I'm still spinning from his big bag of roving, but I've finally made a visible dent in it.

That's it for now from . . .

7 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Sounds like a solid plan! Gorgeous fleece :-).

Tina J said...

Yay, sheep and fleece pics! I am lovingit!

Mary Ann said...

I love the names of your sheep... and their wool is so nice!

Anonymous said...

Drool, drool, er, drool! :D Oh dear, Annabelle is being retired?! *sigh*
Hugs,
Beth

farmlady said...

Is Blake the ram in your header photo? He is a very handsome sheep and deserves all of your attention. Hope he understands this mating business and doesn't get too upset. His wool is so lovely. He's a really fine looking ram... even with his "wooly" tail.

Anonymous said...

mighty handsome boys! love the white spot on Browning's nose :)

Michelle said...

Thanks, Sara; I LOVE Blake's fleece!

I'll try to include more of both in the future, Tina.

Naming things is a favorite activity of mine, Mary Ann. :-)

Just from breeding, Beth; hopefully she'll be around for several more years.

Farmlady, the sheep in my header is Bramble, one of my ewes.

Several of my sheep have gotten a "gray spot" on their noses like that, Denise. In my most recent post you'll see that Bittersweet is getting one, too.