Sunday, September 26, 2010

The spinning stable is full

Just before we left for Kansas, look what arrived from Jenkins Woodworking:
I first saw their Turkish spindles at Black Sheep Gathering, and could finally resist them no longer. I got a Lark in Kingwood, along with a Bolivian Rosewood Jay shaft. Since Wanda was going to be at OFFF and told me I could exchange it then for something else if I didn't like it, I took it for a test-spin on Friday. Oh yeah. Both the Lark and the sample fiber (34% angora, 33% silk, 33% merino) are VERY nice! Can't imagine I'll like the Jay any less. There is just something about beautiful wood tools that work like a dream....

Feeling satisfied with my supply of spindles (um, unless I decide at some point to get a lightweight standard-size Turkish; just sayin'), I took another leap at OFFF. Meet spinning in the 21st century:
That little beauty is a Hansen miniSpinner in maple with a WooLee Winder. I tried one out at Black Sheep Gathering, and it was like getting behind the wheel of a Maserati. So smooth, so quiet, so FAST! I've been counting my pennies and marketing my sheep and fleeces ever since, and then my mom gave me some early birthday money. Even though all that didn't add up to the purchase price, I got one today anyway. Using this makes me feel like I'm in a Mazda commercial; "Zoom-zoom." heh

Thankfully, the sheep fold is less full tonight. Dinah and Barry headed north from OFFF to their new home, and Bardas went to Eugene to be a flock sire. Byzantine is also sold, but will remain here until Franna and I swap rams in October, when she will take him to his new home at Sleepy Hollow Shetlands. I am so very thankful for these placements! Here's a parting shot of Bardas, taken yesterday:

That's it for now from . . .

8 comments:

Tiggeriffic said...

Mom's are so great and birthdays are so wonderful... So glad you are in the driver seat of a very classy tool.. Not being in the sheep business or even know how to do that spinning that you girls do, I can tell it's first class..Congratulations.. Life is Good..~!

thecrazysheeplady said...

I've been toying with the idea of the Hansen spinner myself. What a perfect way to spend long hours in the car, eh? Have not been able to try one in real life yet so have been a bit worried about dropping that kind of cabbage. I'm glad to hear your "review". Have fun!

Heather said...

I like your choice of a Birthday gift. The spindles, too, are gorgeous - what talent to make something so beautiful and functional out of wood.
Congratulations on the sales of your woolly friends. It's a relief, isn't it, when you sell one that needs selling, to a good home. I've got a ram I'm trying to sell and it weighs on me a bit - I'm hoping he sells soon!

Michelle said...

Sarah, I have NEVER seen a used Hansen for sale; I think everyone who gets one LOVES it! (You do see used Robertas and Ashfords go up after their owners get a Hansen, though.) Without the WooLee Winder they are absolutely quiet; the WW adds a wee bit of noise but the time and motion savings made it worth it to me.

Heather, that's a good way to put it -- when you NEED to sell a sheep, it really does weigh on you! So why do I breed, knowing I'll have to go through that again and again? Ah, those precious, irresistible lambs - and the hope eternal that you'll produce some even better than their parents!

Potosi Sheep Farm said...

Sounds like life is good at Boulderneigh! Hope the good stuff keeps coming.

Sharon said...

I keep hearing great things about Turkish spindles but I already own five spindles and haven't been able to justify another one. The two I bought at BSG would have paid for a new camera! Love the spinner and BTW, that's Mazda - the zoom, zoom. I know, I have had several.

Anonymous said...

Yeah-I am glad you got a miniSpinner. I am in love with mine.

Michelle said...

Believe it or not, Donna, I haven't had a chance to use it since I got home! Of course, Rick had his heart attack the day after I brought it home, so maybe I have an excuse....