Thursday, June 03, 2010

You can't ply your cake . . .

. . . and have it, too!

(Eight ounces of white alpaca in a cake of singles and a two-ply skein, both displayed on the lovely cake plate given to me by Lois.)

I just couldn't resist the chance to illustrate one of the most commonly misused phrases in the English language. Of course you can eat cake if you have it, but once you eat it you no longer have it - you had it! Therefore, the phrase, correctly stated, is "You can't eat your cake and have it, too."

Lesson completed. You're welcome. ;-)

I am so glad to have another eight ounces of my spinning debt paid off; 12 more ounces to go. But first, a little break to spin something different. I know I talked about color, but I didn't want to commit to very much fiber until the alpaca that I owe is finished. So I decided to spin one of the roving samples that Kara of Mapleton Farm sent me awhile back, a Shetland/mohair mix. It is light grey, and spins up very fine, with some variegation.Believe it or not, I actually have a plan for this - my first experience spinning for a project! I pre-purchased Romi's 7 Small Shawls specifically for this design she's working on; I am strangely drawn to this shawl. And of course it must be green with that motif, so I will overdye my yarn (and get a lovely heathery effect because of the variegation).

Oh, and in case you were wondering, I finished my second Talia vest - all except for sewing on the buttons.

That's it for today from . . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, that shawl pattern is looking lovely! can't wait to see the finished item.

Theresa said...

Oh lovely! And I have that exact same plate. One of my favorites in the all things foxy collection!