Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summer rain

Yes indeedy, it's honest-to-goodness RAINING! What a WONDERFUL pick-me-up for all the roots, shoots, and leaves. The animals, however, are less than excited:Lucy 2 takes shelter on the lee side of the ram lambs' feeder...
while Blackberry rests in the hay on the other side.

Sammy (green fly mask) was actually shivering, so shortly after I took these photos Rick put the horses in the barn and gave them some hay. There isn't a lot of grazing left in their little pastures anyway. I'm not sure where he shoe-horned in Breezy, since up to now she's been spending nights in a 12'x12' panel stall in the pasture.

Fortuitously, we all picked cherries and Rick and Brian got the lawn mowed (while I pitted cherries) before the rain started. The dehydrator is humming away and there is probably another dehydrator-full waiting in buckets.

Speaking of cherries, Brian picked and pitted three packed cups last week, and wanted me to make something special with them. Given the quantity and my avoidance of pie-crust-making, I searched the web to find a recipe. This looked like the best option. I used the raw, in-skin almonds I had in the freezer and my little coffee grinder that I used to grind flax seeds, and it turned out sooo good. If you have access to a few fresh, sweet cherries, it's definitely worth making.

Wonderfully, if temporarily, wet at . . .

8 comments:

Christine said...

How lucky are you to be able to pick your cherries. Every year I watch and wait for them to ripen. Then when I decide they'll be ready to pick the next day the birds swoop in and eat every one of them before I get a chance!

Michelle said...

Oh Christine, I'm sorry you don't get any of yours! Our "secret" is probably the sheer amount of cherries available in the area, along with other birdy foodstuffs. They can't eat 'em all!

Anonymous said...

I have often seen horses with masks on in the fields and I always wondered why. What is the purpose of the "fly masks" and can the horse see where it is going? Maybe these are dumb questions but I am curious. (Our rain finally stopped here.)

Michelle said...

Doreen, fly masks are kinda like heavy mesh window screens; the horses can see out but the flies can't get in. They provide some protection from the sun's strong rays, too, like sunglasses do for us. Without them, flies can cluster around horses' eyes, annoying them no end and even causing eye irritation and infection.

d2cmom said...

Michelle, if you don't want the rain, we'll take it!! 1 inch in the last 2 months! We need some here in dry dusty Texas!

Michelle said...

Oh no, we need and we want it! Get your OWN rain! (hee!)

Sharrie said...

"A few sweet cherries" would never make it into a recipe at my house. I would have them eaten long before that. You are sooooooo lucky.

Lael said...

Send some of that rain to southeastern Wisconsin!!