Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sticks and wheels

I've been posting about other things, because there hasn't been anything new and exciting to report in the spinning and knitting departments. I knit a round or two on my socks or spin a few yards of alpaca whenever I get the chance, which isn't nearly often enough. However, last night I got to spin and knit (started a heel - woo hoo!) while Rick made an airport run to pick up his mother, and will probably get some travel knitting in today when we head to the beach. Maybe there will be something photo-worthy to show you soon.

I had hoped to make more progress on my socks on the Cowboy Camp Meeting trip, but discovered after knitting on the way up that I'd dropped a stitch in the sole - several rows back. Not sure of what to do except capture that little loop, I grabbed the only thing in my knitting bag small enough to work - a U-shaped cable needle - and snagged it. Then I set my knitting aside until I could send out an SOS. To my surprise I discovered I had a smidgeon of cell phone reception up in the mountains, so I was able to call for help sooner rather than later. it was Melanie (my twin-separated-at-birth and sock mentor) to the rescue! She explained how to pick up the dropped stitch, but I didn't have a small enough crochet hook along to do the job so there was no further knitting until we got home. Once I had the proper tool, I was able to do as Melanie instructed with flawless results; another knitting skill conquered! (This knitting business can be very empowering sometimes. :-)

That's it for now at . . .

2 comments:

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I asked Jo one time how to pick up a stitch; that is one reason I dont knit anything, Im scared to death of dropping stitches which I do all the time when practicing. I still dont know how to do it, but I was awed by her knowledge of knitting and the ease at which she just casually dropped a stitch and knitted a few more stitches, just to show me how to pick one up! Thats confidence in your skill :)

Kathy said...

I need a class in "frogging" (what Lois calls reverse knitting 'cause you "rip-it, rip-it, rip-it") myself. I don't know how to pick things up again after ripping. Maybe Kelly can show me when she comes.

Not much going on here - fiber-wise - either. It's too hot and with no a/c we just lay low until evenings when the temps cool off. Oi!