Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Galloping into summer

There is so much for show-and-tell today! Since my last post, we went on an abbreviated horse-camping trip to our favorite location, Rick got the garden prepped for planting, and I sheared another sheep. Triple-woot!
Mt. Adams coming into Trout Lake, WA – a town I'd happily move to!

Our Christian trail-riding club gathered at Mt. Adams Horse Camp over Memorial Day weekend. We planned to leave on Friday after Brian got out of school at noon, but Rick had a couple emergencies thrown in on top of his morning calls so there went the afternoon.... Rather than  get in at o'dark thirty, we left Saturday morning and arrived in time to set up our camp, join our group for Sabbath potluck, and then go for a family trail ride.
Rick borrowed a client's horse for the weekend so we could all ride together, which was really nice.

That evening while the lovely light waned, we enjoyed socializing around the campfire.

The next morning we went for another family ride, then relaxed with our ponies.


Two shining peaks! ;-)
While we were letting the horses graze I thought of all I had to do and casually said to Rick, "We've had two nice days; I guess we could go home and get more done there." He said, sounding hopeful, "You want to?" Then we found out that everyone else in our group was pulling out that day (one party had already left), which settled it.

So Monday was a bonus day! Rick tilled the garden (he had already mowed, raked, and burned all the weeds and cleared out a cherry tree that was growing in the middle of it). Brian did homework (he hadn't owned up to how much he had to do; he would have been even farther behind if we'd camped through Monday!). I sheared Vienna and then got busy in the kitchen, because we invited the friends who did chores for us to join us for dinner and a movie – Fiddler on the Roof. (Which brought to mind the old adage, "The more things change, the more they stay the same. Oy.)
Ewe's not fat, ewe's fluffy – wait; I think ewe IS fat!
Yesterday after work, I stopped by my MIL's for three little pepper plants she had for us, then went to my favorite store for garden starts and picked up tomatoes, cucumbers, and eggplant, as well as seeds for bush beans, sugar pea pods, and beets (I had zucchini seeds at home). I still need basil and parsley starts; those staples slipped my mind.

This lovely was just outside the store; swoon.

So now the pressure is really on – to get seeds and plants in the ground and three last fleeces off woolly yearlings!

Getting off my duff at . . .

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I'd say you had a really good Memorial Day Weekend! Gorgeous scenery on your horse camping outing. You must be excited about having the garden all ready for planting. And your sheepies are no doubt happy about losing their fluffy (warm) coats. (Although they might not admit it during the process!)

Theresa said...

Wonderful pictures and such a lovely time horse camping! Glad you had this time you so deserve a bit of down time.

Susan said...

Sounds like a perfect balance of work and play! What beautiful scenery for your trail rides.

Michelle said...

I think the Mt. Adams Horse Camp is the most beautiful location I've ever seen, and thankfully not too far away. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get a single sheep sheared since Memorial Day, but I DID get most of the garden planted!

Thanks, Theresa; it was a nice little get-away!

Exactly, Susan! It's hard for me to play when the to-do list weighs so heavily; SO glad we had a whole day at home.