Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Ugh.

Let's start with a pretty picture, shall we?
That was yesterday's sunrise, so obviously the day started out well. That continued through a ride in the fall woods on my mustang man, in spite of dreading a noon dental appointment. I had ignored some niggling issues with a crowned molar long enough, though, so it was time to face the music. Turns out the music is the ka-ching of the dentist's cash register, so to speak; said molar is trying to abscess so I'm on a week of antibiotics before getting a root canal.

Last night shortly after Rick arrived home, he started getting uncomfortable – back spasms, he said. Massage and heat helped – a little – temporarily, but by 11:00 he decided I needed to take him to the ER. It felt very much like I was transporting a woman in labor (only moi didn't make that much noise). The ER was swamped so it took hours to get seen, diagnosed, and treated . . . for a small kidney stone. (Is there something in the water here???) At least I had a spindle with me.

We got home shortly after 4:00, then I was up again at 6:30 to do chores, make breakfast and lunch, and get Brian to school/Rick to the pharmacy for drugs. Now he's snoring and I'm bone-tired but unable to sleep. Maybe I'll take Lance out for another ride before driving to Salem again to pick up the teenager.

That's it for the latest trials at . . .


9 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, I loved that comparison... :) I also loved the opening and closing shots. Hope you can catch up on some sleep tonight, if the moaning and groaning doesn't keep you awake....snort.

Mama Pea said...

If men experienced bad mentrual cramps (let alone LABOR pains!) for about a half year period, they would know what pain was. Tell Rick I used to pass out (frequently) from the pain I experienced during my pain filled periods. No, wait, don't tell him. I'm sure it wouldn't be appreciated at this point of his suffering.

Hoping you get some good, restorative sleep soon, Michelle. You need it to keep going. Your men (and animals) depend on you.

Michelle said...

I got REALLY sleepy on the way home from picking up Brian this afternoon, so stayed in my (heated) car seat in the garage and napped for 45 minutes; I feel MUCH better now. Mama Pea, I'm trying really hard to be a good girl and keep my mouth SHUT. ;-)

Theresa said...

Myself I would have titled this post UGH! all in caps. :-)
I have found each and every one of my animals more stoic than DH in every instance.
Hope Rick is feeling better and you are heading off to dreamland soon. Napping on heated seats is nice, but a full 8 hours is best. :-)
Those mustang ears look quite pretty.

Retired Knitter said...

Yes, those ER visits are awful for everyone. I spent many a night there with my mom. Guess those emergency rooms are all the same everywhere you go.

I have never had a kidney stone but I understand from reliable sources - one of them femaie who has experienced labor - the kidney stone pain is worse than labor. And it is harder on men then women because the path the stone travels is longer. It doesn't take much of a stone to cause that pain. In fact, the one female I know who had this condition also has a condition where she feels far less pain from all causes than is normal (which is a problem on its own because pain is the body's alert system that something is wrong.). But she said the kidney pain was so severe she considered calling an ambulance. I hope to never experience kidney stones. Some people have this problem regularly - what a nightmare. Anyway, glad he is improving - and you go and get some sleep.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Oh good grief... Hang in there!

Debbie said...

Hope order has been restored, sleep caught up on and your husband recovering.

The sunrise photo is beautiful and your ride with Lance serene.

Take care and good luck with the dentist.

A :-) said...

Oh boy . . . as you know, I have experienced kidney stone pain (and surgery), and although I never had children, I've heard from many who have, that kidney stone pain is far worse. I'm reasonably sure that anyone in the waiting room of the ER who thought their pain was a 10 and who heard me literally screaming for 45 minutes before they got me bed - all those people had to have gone home. The trauma and pain . . . I'm really sorry that Rick is dealing with it and sure hope he is able to pass it. My was 4mm and, in theory, I should have been able to pass it. Nope . . .

Most kidney stones can be prevented (it's often dietary) - I know you've been following my blog so you know my journey. I'm happy to share links and knowledge.

Michelle said...

Theresa, Rick's situation resolved yesterday . . . and mine got a lot worse. :-(

RK, that's Rick's second ER visit this year. Wish he and Brian would stay out of them!

I'm trying, Sara!

No luck with the dentist, Debbie, but husband is all better.

Thanks, A; the urologist said Rick just needs to drink more water.