Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Sheep, sandwiches and shoulders

Little piggies
Kimberwood Marta
WhitePine Sarai

The sheep have been MIA here for awhile, I know. They are all fine, never fear; eating, sleeping, chewing cud, growing wool. A bit of excitement niggles at me every once in awhile; breeding season approacheth! Not that breeding season is fun – it is more work to manage three groups of sheep instead of two (I plan to use an outside ram this year) – but breeding means . . . LAMBS! And what a Shepherd's Christmas next spring's lambing season could be. My three patterned ewes (white, black gulmoget, black katmoget) all carry solid AND brown, so I could get a veritable rainbow from crossing them with Franna's handsome polled moorit ram. Then again, I could get all blacks or all moorits, too . . . which would be fine, as long as they are fine-fleeced, well conformed, healthy – and girls. ;-)

I have to admit that not having lambs this year has been a good thing. With all the medical stuff that has been and is going on with our parents (my mom has eye surgery tomorrow, and Rick's mom has eye surgery a week from today, on top of the surgeries both dads have had), it has been nice having fewer numbers and simpler management, not to mention not having to market any for sale. Who knows what the future will bring? I may find that a fiber flock is all I can manage while I am "sandwich filling"!

My shoulders are another reason it was probably a good thing I didn't have lambs this year. I'm pretty sure I injured my right shoulder last fall/winter hand-walking a cooped-up young Lance before bringing him home at the first of the year. After more than seven months of discomfort, eventually joined by problems with my left shoulder and both elbows from compensating for my right, I went to see a physical therapist. I went again yesterday with Rick in tow to learn how to do the supportive taping, and came away with a list of exercises that will hopefully make me stronger than ever – or as strong as a middle-aged woman can be. That's essential when living in the country with animals and a very active 11-year-boy!

Speaking of that active boy, Rick is taking him on his very first backpacking trip this weekend. Yes, just a weekend; I think that's as much as either of them can handle at this point. ;-)  I'll hold down the fort here at home, as well as visiting a couple different people after church Sabbath and attending a neighborhood potluck Sunday. Hopefully there will also be time to ride my pony, spin some yarn, and enjoy the quiet!

Speaking of yarn, here is my second skein of Browning two-ply off the "wheel" (miniSpinner):

That's it for today from . . .



10 comments:

Glen Tamarack said...

Pretty yarn and pretty sheep, Michele. Hope you enjoyed your quiet weekend! I can relate to much in your blog above--injuries and how inconvenient they are on a farm, taking a rest from lambing for a year, being sandwiched, the need for peace and quiet, etc. This year has been so busy with all of the above that we're taking a break from lambing next spring. Our kids and grandkids are in process of moving from WI to Colorado and we'll want to visit them next summer without loading too much sheep care on our good sheepy neighbors. Hope that shoulder and the rest heals up well for you. For fixing injuries, there is nothing better than a good physical therapist except God, of course.

Tombstone Livestock said...

I think the most difficult time in life is when the mind is willing and the body says "no way". Hope you get some nice lambs, lots of colors and ALL girls.

Kelly said...

Sheep look great and I love the yarn, it's lovely.

Unknown said...

Well... this spinner won't cry if you end up with all black or moorit lambs! I do hope that you end up with all healthy little ewe lambs.

Brian is growing so quickly, I hope he comes back from his backpacking trip full of so many stories he can hardly stand to take a breath whilst telling.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Jeanne. Yes, last weekend was lovely, and I'm looking forward to this weekend, too.

Audrey, getting older is certainly not for sissies....

Thanks, Kelly!

Shelly, Brian already talks like that, about EVERYthing!

Shine said...

Love your sheep.....AND your yarn!!! Gorgeous!
Enjoy your "quiet" time!
Blessings~~Shine

Anonymous said...

Treasure this coming weekend for all it's worth! Precious hours to be had.

The sandwich years are emotionally and physically draining, even in the best of situations.

Take care of that shoulder, it's good you're getting help for it.

Tina T-P said...

It's been weird, but also quiet here, with no lambs this year - now he's talking about breeding ALL 5 to Elliott this fall - hmmm -

Doesn't all the spinning you're doing hurt your shoulders & elbows? I must sit funny because my elbows get sore if I spin too much. Your tabbouleh and your zucchini bread look delish. fun to get stuff out of the garden - We had our first ears of corn tonight! Yay! T.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Shine. I spent my "quiet time" tonight freezing peaches, even though I would like to have spun more yarn....

Thanks for your empathy, Wanda!

No, Tina, spinning on the mS doesn't seem to bother my arms, just my knees from sitting too long.

Kim said...

That yarn is so pretty and even. I suppose that someday, if I keep at it mine will look as good. :) Glad you are going to have lambs in the spring!