Saturday, August 17, 2013

Come-hither looks and new hidey-holes

Took this photo of Annabelle (which I like very much) this morning, and this afternoon Franna posted the following photo on Ravelry for me:

This is my first good look at the fleece of the ram I'll be using on my ewes this fall, and I'm excited! (I think the color is off, because Nightcap is moorit but both his fleece and Franna's hand look gray.) There's a possibility I may be able to pick up Nightcap and use him early. If so, I'll be counting on what I've heard about ewes who were left open the year before – that they are more likely to cycle year-round or at least longer than usual. Just think; Shepherd's Christmas could come in February if everything works out just right! (I'm trying not to count my lambs before they're born, but, but . . . .)

As for hidey-holes, apparently ivy-covered bowers are so yesterday. This morning while I was doing chores I kept hearing strange rustling noises in the machine shed adjoining the barn. I zeroed in on the south wall, a little nervous because whatever it was was obviously much bigger than a mouse.
Then I saw it; do you? Just to the right of the old Tonka truck? (Biggifying might help.)
Yep, Perch. She laid a big double-yolker on that hard, crowded ledge. I hope finding new hidey-holes doesn't become a habit; Adventure Chickens belong at Punkin's Patch!

That's it for today from . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol!! Too funny but it would be sad if she keeps finding new hidey holes and some of those yummy eggs are never found! Eek!
Hugs,
Beth

thecrazysheeplady said...

Yeah, um, good luck with that ;-).

Susan said...

I loved that little head peeking out! Yes - once they get in the mood to seek out adventure, it will keep you on your toes! Maybe that double-yolker needed a firmer surface on which to be laid...

Michelle said...

Perch laid in that spot three days – but is now in with the rest of the flock and doing fine. No more Adventure Chicken! She didn't want to be caught a couple nights ago, and didn't run out when I opened the door the next morning, so I decided to leave her with the flock and see what happened. DH is relieved; I miss my "greeter." :-/