Thursday, July 23, 2009

Assorted updates

Knitting update: I've turned both heels and am beginning the cuffs! Good thing, since Sock Summit is less than two weeks away, and the cuffs are patterned all the way around.

Scurs update: Juliann and Sabrina have both posted photo updates of their ram lambs' horn growth, so I thought I would do the same - as much for my own records as anyone else's interest. The photos below were taken today. Blackberry (born 3/27/09):He had little wiggly scurs that broken off; these are solidly attached. I hope they don't take off and grow long; two-year-old Braveheart's nubbins (below) have spoiled me.
Below are Beau's little knife-blade scurs and Boo's substantial horn growth (twins born 4/5/09):Only test breeding could prove whether Boo is fully horned (pp) or a half-poll (Pp), so I guess we'll never know because...

Flock update: Beau and Boo are leaving for their new home tomorrow! I predict they will live long, happy lives as well-loved lap sheep, with the minor yearly inconvenience of being sheared for their beautiful, soft fleeces:

Chicken update: Lucille is looking better, although still very lame from her broken toe. She's eating and drinking well in her private hospital room)- and laying pretty well, too! That's more than I can say for the rest of the girls, who have dropped their production dramatically.

Garden update: We have harvested maybe four Sungold cherry tomatoes, a handful of green (actually purple and wax) beans, a thimbleful of peas, several small zucchini and a couple of cukes. Some bell peppers are about ready. The lettuce has bolted; salad season is over. There may be enough colored Swiss chard for my mom to enjoy a serving when she's here next week, and enough rhubarb to make a crisp. The berry bounty is keeping us busy; yesterday we picked 22# of blueberries at a commercial farm so we could freeze some.

That's all the updates for now from . . .

9 comments:

Sharon said...

I keep hearing about Sock Summit across the blogs. Am I the only one who doesn't know what it is?

Tina T-P said...

I wish you lived closer - we have a WHOLE LOT of purple cauliflower coming on! We've had a head of broccoli that was divine and I'm starting to get tired of the green (and purple) beans - but I know they will be very good next winter from the freezer. T.

Michelle said...

Sharon, you must not follow the Yarn Harlot's blog (which is a shame, because she is a HOOT!). She (Stephanie Pearl-McPhee) is one of the creators of Sock Summit, the first ever "sock-knitters' convention" which will be held in Portland, OR Aug. 6-9. This will be my first time to take any kind of fiber or knitting class, and I am excited!

Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

So I'm new to rhubarb - planted my first one this year. Can it be harvested all summer or just in the spring? Is there a time to stop and if so, how do I know? I really don't know what I'm doing with this stuff and so haven't harvested any at all.

Mim said...

Sock Summit sounds like a great time. Do you stay the four days? What sort of classes will you be taking?

Michelle said...

Kathleen, I'm fairly new to rhubarb, too, so I rely on my retired neighbor who has gardened all his life. First, you PULL stalks to harvest them, then cut the leaf end off. Second, you don't want to harvest so many stalks that the crown, or center, of the plant isn't shaded, as it can be damaged by full sun. You can harvest throughout the spring and summer as long as you follow #2. Our rhubarb didn't give us enough to harvest the first year or two; now it is finally mature enough to provide a nice number of harvestable stalks.

Mim, Portland is driving distance for me, so I am driving up for a class (Hip Hems for Him and Her) on Thursday morning and for the Luminary Panel on Sunday morning. My family will be visiting here that week so I didn't want to take any more time away from them than that, plus I couldn't afford any more than that! I didn't get my first choice class because of the server crashing when registration opened; the computer geeks that assured the organizers that it was plenty big enough to handle the traffic really didn't think there could be THAT many sock knitters!

MiniKat said...

I'm so happy Beau and Boo are going to a great fiber home to be petted, spoiled, and loved.

Lucille's improvements sound great and I hope she recovers soon. Poor thing.

Can't wait to see the socks. :-)

sewbeezy said...

Can't wait to see your socks either. Are they from your own hand-spun? I just finished a pair of socks yesterday. From hand-spun yarn that is a blend of Targhee/Merino/Corriedale.

Just out of curiosity, are you breeding for polled rams?

Michelle said...

Sewbreezy, see the next post for socks. No, not handspun (not yet!). And yes, I'm breeding for polled rams.