Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Enjoying this change

March 2

March 3


March 4

March 5

The first four days of March started with snow; now we're ALL enjoying a few days of sunny, dry weather before the clouds and rain return. This morning, the mud was even frozen firm for awhile – another nice, if very temporary, change!

A less welcome change is in the works. The property on which Rick's veterinary clinic sits recently sold to a developer who plans to bulldoze most of the buildings on the large multi-use commercial lot and open a huge U-Haul dealership. DH hates change so this is stressful times for him; we've been in the same building since he bought the practice in 1995. We need to work on the what/when/where/how now, as we'll only get a three-month eviction notice. On top of that we have to keep in mind that his office manager plans to retire within two years, while we will try to hang on for eight years (our retirement options maximize when Rick turns 70).

In two days, we'll witness change in Rick's immediate family. Rick's mother is getting married again, and his sister and her three adult children (as well as one's spouse and kids) will be here for the event. I'm scurrying about getting ready to feed the extended family as they are all flying in. They won't come here, though; Rick's nephew is terribly allergic to horses – including the hair and dander that inevitably make their way into our house. We'll make my MIL's house home base, since she will be on her honeymoon.

Meanwhile, my creative juices are still flowing. The wire wrapping/wire weaving class of last Sunday was just the inspiration I needed; I got an excellent review of wrapping and learned the beginnings of weaving. While the five other students worked on provided polished stones/gems, I chose shells from my beach-combing collection to complete two projects:





I've since ordered a couple more tools and some 28-gauge wire for weaving, and am thinking of ways to better organize my stash of objects, tools, and supplies. If I can see at a glance what I have to work with, it will jump-start the creative process. My dream is to acquire an antique spool cabinet like that in the internet photo below to contain both my spindles and my wire-wrapping stash, but for now I'm thinking about what I can do with the space and storage I already have in the upstairs bonus room. It's become a messy accumulation of fleeces in bags, fiber and yarn in bags and bins, horse and dog show ribbons, books (our overflowing library shelves are up there), old computer and other office equipment and the desks they are on, cages and supplies from pet birds long gone, an antique table, my loom, etc. Clearly, lots of stuff needs to go, which will leave room for other stuff to be put away; the possibilities are actually rather exciting. Want to help hold me accountable? I hereby make transforming the bonus room my One Big Thing of 2024 (Lord willing and the creek don't rise). Although I'm not sure I'm up to sharing its current condition, as soon as I post this I'm going to take photos so I can mark and celebrate my progress. Hmm; maybe I should commit to sharing a new photo each week showing proof of progress. What do you think?


That's it for now from . . .

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like both, your wire twists & curves enhance each piece. WI Dee

Michelle said...

Thanks, Dee!

Sharrie Brockhaus said...

I would love to see what you do with your room each week. I moved twice in eighteen months and am still getting things where I want them after three years in this new place. I have to make use of every single inch of space since this last move is the smallest setting. Would really enjoy seeing what you do with your stuff!

Michelle said...

I really appreciate your input, Sharrie! For that, how can I refuse? I must admit, I took photos, tried to figure out where I could start, and gave up. Maybe after the wedding....

A :-) said...

Oh, I LOVE that you're going to repurpose the bonus room!! I've continued to downsize my yarn stash (the sock machine really helps with that), and I came up with a great way to store all my cross stitch floss on the backs of my closet doors! Amazing what you can do with a little ingenuity and some white pegboard! :-D And I vote yes for photos!! I'm sorry about Rick's practice - any chance he could go completely mobile and set up office space and work out of your home? The jewelry is beautiful :-) My knitting mojo is back in full force and I've been knitting like mad trying to finish up stuff as well as casting on new!

thecrazysheeplady said...

I need to do the same...in a couple of places... I'll try to help us both be accountable.

Love the wire wrapping!

Michelle said...

A, I'm not really planning repurpose the bonus room, just make it more organized and functional. As for Rick's clinic, he does NOT want to work from home if that means he has to do all his own ordering, scheduling, bookkeeping, etc. And I'm not sure it would be a good idea for me to volunteer. ;-)

I'm going to hold you to that, Sara!