Friday, January 12, 2024

Woollies, weaving, and weather


Last weekend I kept finding Bijou running loose, trying to get in with the girls. Sunday morning he was waiting outside the Sheep Sheraton for them. It had finally stopped raining, so I prepared to put him back with the other two boys and then wait and watch to see where he was getting out. As I led him back towards the Ram-ada Inn I saw that Sanson was also out. Since Sanson is not as approachable as Bijou is, I decided to change Bijou's too-small coat for a roomier one in the barn aisle before tackling the problem – which worked out great because Sanson joined us in the barn where it was easy to slip a halter on him. (And yes, I found and fixed the 'escape route.')



I was delighted to see that Bijou is solid black under his coat; some gulmoget-patterned sheep have lighter sides which isn't as desirable. And his fleece is very crimpy and soft; the photo was taken at the standard last rib, mid-side spot. I sent those photos off to the breeder from whom I got his sire Spot, and she wants him for next winter's breeding season. We will most likely trade sheep, but what I get in return will be determined by the lambs we each get this spring/summer (she breeds later than I do). I am convinced that Bridget, Bijou's 'fall fling,' and Blaise, Bijou's dam and Bench's 'fall fling,' are pregnant; Boop and Broadway, who were with Sanson, aren't giving anything away yet.

Also on Sunday I wound the rest of the warp on my warping board, having already wrapped and removed 100 strands to lease sticks. On Wednesday my weaving mentor friend came over to help me get set up to warp my loom. By the time I fell into bed that night, the full width of my little loom was warped, tied, and ready to start weaving a rug; exciting! It's still waiting for weft, but this (and my current spinning project) will be good inclement weather projects. Like much of the country we are expecting severe weather this weekend and beyond, but what is severe for us is pretty moderate, considering. This morning I took a screenshot of our 10-day forecast, and then took a look at the weather in Lincoln, NE, which is where my sister lives. That prompted a text exchange; they got 11" of snow overnight with more expected today, and future windchills of up to -50F are predicted. BRRR!!!


That's it from already icy . . .

7 comments:

Leigh said...

Bijou's fleece is gorgeous. I'm looking forward to getting back to spinning soon, as soon as I can deal with the singles on my bobbins that have been there for over 15 years!

I'm really looking forward to your rug weaving adventures. Your loom looks so inviting with all that warp ready and waiting!

Michelle said...

Oh my, Leigh; that is a long time away from spinning! Then again, if I was referring to my wheel, it would be about that long for me as well. Spindles are what keep me going. As for that warp, I sat down last night and filled it! Still need to stitch the ends, then I can remove and wash it. I'm out of cotton twine, but found some natural (coarse) wool and plan to weave another rug using that as warp.

Jeanne said...

Those rascally boys! I'm glad you were able to get them back where they belong, and close off the escape route. Bijou does have beautiful fleece!

It's not terribly cold here - about 40 degrees - but it's difficult to keep the house warm enough with just the heat pump. The baseboard heaters are too expensive to use. In our early years of married life, Ron and I experienced some bitterly cold temps. Would you believe -60 degrees?! Thankfully, where we were living in northern Manitoba, it wasn't windy!

I'm looking forward to seeing your woven rug as you are working at your loom!

Mokihana said...

Bijou's fleece is gorgeous!!! I used to help my father-in-law work his loom and it took a long time! Way below freezing weather has certainly arrived now, hasn't it? It's 15° here this morning and snowing. I have to keep swapping out the hummingbird feeders because they're freezing so fast. I hope everyone down there stays nice and warm and your power stays on!

Michelle said...

Jeanne, I'm REALLY glad Bijou couldn't find a way to join the girls, as I think Bette and Bernadette were coming into heat. You are much warmer than we are; my weather app says we've finally reached 20° after starting in the mid-teens. We experienced some really cold temps the winter we lived in northern Minnesota, but not -60!!!

Mokihana, it sounds like we are experiencing the same basic weather. I keep bringing in my one little hummingbird feeder to thaw it out, then "re-serve." Settling up a loom for weaving does take a long time, but once it's ready for weft it really flies!

A :-) said...

11 below this morning with a 30 below windchill . . . Winter is finally here in Chicagoland. That's some very nice crimp in that photo!! Look at you!! You're a weaver!!

Michelle said...

I'm glad you don't have livestock chores to do in THAT cold, A!