Saturday, January 06, 2024

Ending – or is it beginning? – as I mean to go on

Either way I'm covered as I got to ride Stella on both the last day of 2023 and the first day of 2024.

I grabbed some fresh fiber for the new year and started spinning it on the 1st. I'm trying to keep a tight twist, because with the silk content this should make a nice weaving yarn.


On December 31, my former partner in many a New Year's Day ride (who no longer rides) texted me about having some "New Years-ish" agility fun. We compared schedules and she booked us an hour on January 3 at a facility of which she is a founding member. Poppy and Bonnie romped with each other and sampled some agility obstacles; I think with Poppy's help, nine-month-old Bonnie is now thoroughly comfortable with tunnels!
riding in style

had to take advantage of their great 'photo booth'
I don't have anything on the loom yet, but am in the process of winding cotton twine for a full-width warp. I'll use more of the natural-dyed wool yarn I got through a Freecycle ad to make a rug, which may end up as a wedding present for my MIL.

On the agenda for tomorrow is taking down the Christmas tree and cleaning the fireplace and chimney. It wasn't drawing well while family was here and thoroughly smoked up the house several times after that, so we finally let the fire go out. We're using the heat pump and lap blankets, but we all (humans and dogs) miss the cozy warmth of wood heat. Oh, and the new season of All Creatures Great and Small starts tomorrow on PBS!

That's it for the first post of 2024 from . . .

5 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Off to a great start! And thanks for the reminder about All Creatures :-D.

Leigh said...

That merino/silk roving is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it on the loom!

Michelle said...

Sara, I just LOVE this new series! I did hear that the actor playing Tristan has been replaced.

Thanks, Leigh, but you'll probably be waiting awhile. Right now I'm at the "just weave and use up yarn stash" stage; not sure when I'll get to the "let's use really nice yarn and follow a pattern" stage! Ha!

Jeanne said...

I really enjoyed your post! Good job on doing all that.

I really love the looks of that roving you're working with. Beautiful coloring. It'll be so much fun to see it, when you are able to get it on the loom.

Are you using the warping board to get started with your next project?

It would be such fun to see Poppy running an agility competition.

Happy and blessed New Year to you and your family!

A :-) said...

Happy New Year!! I hope that 2024 holds only good things for you and yours :-)