Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Wordsmithing and photo-wrangling

I am currently at a standstill on an overdue newsletter, waiting for more information, so I'm going to try to pound out a weekly post while I wait. TBH I'd rather spin on one of my new spindles while listening to another excellent audiobook; it's so much easier than wordsmithing and photo-wrangling!

I did promise to post more on my new 'flock members,' the spindles I purchased at OFFF. I also have an in-use photo of my new shawl fastener, which I am happy to say functioned perfectly. From top: a Vine Maple Dovekie (updated Delight); a BigLeaf Maple Weaverbird (one of two new six-armed inventions of Ed Jenkins); an Oregon Oak Wren; and an Oregon Oak Gooney. I didn't expect to buy the last three; they were end-of-festival surprise options that I couldn't pass up. A few Weaverbirds were there 'only for display' but were made available as the festival closed, and Ed pulled a handful of Oregon Oak beauties out from under the counter at the last minute. Yes, I am weak, but I did destash two of my old spindles later that week so only have a net gain of two. 😉




Between getting spindles shipped, catching up on graphics jobs, and Rick's birthday celebration, my loom has continued to sit idle. My mentor hasn't called to suggest we pick up my introduction where we left off, so I assume she is busy, too. Time will tell; it may be impossible to shoehorn weaving into my busy life.

In 'farm news,' the advent of wetter weather has brought an end to pasture season for the horses and makes training Stella more of a challenge. I'm still putting the non-breeding ewes/ewe lambs out on pasture as often as possible, both to save hay and because the Sheep Sheraton is getting deep and badly in need of stripping. I sure hope I can get help with that massive job before the end of this month, when I plan to break up my breeding groups.
my three ewe lambs


The hens, from whom we've only been getting an egg or two in recent weeks, have started picking up production a bit. The other day I got four eggs for the first time in months. In response (not really), the henhouse got a new window on Sunday. We've been swapping out the window for a heavy wire 'screen' during summers to keep it cooler. Rick recently put the window back in to keep the rain out, but the air quality took a nose dive. So we discussed options to improve the situation and Rick set to work building a new, hinged window. Problem solved!

a colorful sunrise before the clouds took over
The days are getting dramatically shorter and lately have been 'dawning' with only a slow paling of heavy, gray skies. This week is noticeably colder and a fire would feel good, but we haven't yet built one. There are still apples on the trees and good intentions to make one more batch each of applesauce and apple pie filling before they drop and rot. In the meantime I readily turn on the oven and stove for cooking, welcoming the additional heat in the house as I am loathe to turn up the thermostat.

That's it for now from . . .

6 comments:

A :-) said...

You're so good with a spindle. I skipped over spindling in favor of getting a wheel. I do have a couple of high-whorl spindles, but I am not very good with them - they sit in with my wooden Brittany needles just to make "the display" a little more interesting :-D Weather here has been changeable again - close to 80 earlier this week, and in the 60s today. This is not normal in Chicagoland for almost November. I'm guessing it has to have something to do with the El Nino winter I keep hearing about.

Michelle said...

Practice and muscle memory, like anything else, A! I started with a wheel and moved to spindles, and am sure I've spun a lot more yarn with them (because I can spin practically anywhere) than I ever could have on my wheel, even my miniSpinner. We're enjoying a more 'usual' fall here weatherwise than we've had in quite some time....

Leigh said...

That spindle design is so clever. I first learned to spin on a spindle, but later gave it up because of shoulder problems. I may have to give it a try again, just to see.

The shawl pin is a perfect choice for that shawl! Another clever idea!

Fat Dormouse said...


The shawl pin looks lovely. I can't comment on the spindles but they certainly have a pleasing rustic look about them.

Tim B. Inman said...

The process of making yarn and fabric/cloth out of hair just fascinates me. Maybe it is the 'tool' aspect. Whatever it is, it is so interesting.

Outdoor/indoor things have been happening here at Oakdale Farm, too. I just completed my second summer without hens. I'm not liking it one bit. So...I'm dedicated to spending the winter figuring out how to make an affordable High Security Prison for my new girls - and getting it ready for spring. Keeping the girls in is easy; out here, keeping everything else OUT is the challenge.

When I was a skinny college kid with hair, I helped pay my way by doing calligraphy and illuminated manuscripts. After graduation, I didn't want to ever see a diploma needing lettering ever ever again. Now, I'm beginning to rethink that and might give it a 'hobby' go this winter. Time will tell. Cheers!

Michelle said...

Leigh, I find spindling to be not only infinitely portable but also comfortable to do – at least with Ed's beautiful tools. I hope the shawl magnet goes well enough with all my shawls but I agree, it is particularly nice with that silver grey.

I love rocks and woodgrain, A, so these please me immensely.

Tim, I have no doubt that the tools AND their craftsmanship appeal to you, craftsman that you are. And now you reveal ANOTHER skill – calligraphy! I still have a set of fancy nibs that I haven't used in quite some time.