Wednesday, October 18, 2023

OFFF and its aftermath

It was a beautiful day for a fiber festival!
Last Sunday the friend who gave me the loom (not to be confused with my weaving mentor friend, who didn't return from a camping trip in time to go) and I spent most of the day going to, walking around at, and coming home from the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival (OFFF). Once again I spent most of my time at the Jenkins booth, not only because they have the most beautiful, functional spinning tools in the world, but also because I offered to be a proxy shopper for those not fortunate to live this close to the Jenkins and the events at which they vend. Trying to buy their spindles online has become an exercise in luck or frustration because they get snatched up so fast; attending an event or having a proxy shopper allows people a guaranteed opportunity to acquire their spindles. Well, almost guaranteed. Lots of people want to get their hands on a horn or antler spindle but Ed makes very few of those (there were none at OFFF), and Ed debuted three new styles at OFFF – one of which sold out, and one of which was mostly just on display (people could put their name on waiting lists).
Ed holding Merlins, one of his new styles
I ended up with a shopping list of spindles for 23 people before I finally started turning people away. The shopping itself was actually a lot of fun, like playing Santa's helper. Like a blogger I follow said about shopping at a Shetland pony sale: "I am thrilled for her and there is something nice about not coming home with another but having all the fun and thrills of helping with the purchase." (Only I did come home with another . . . cough, FOUR spindles for myself as well; more on them later.) 
In addition to spindle-shopping and visiting with the Jenkins, I picked up the roving I had had processed (Bling for a customer and trashy Broadway for myself), met up with several friends, Ravelry-pals, blogpals, and the Shetland breeder with whom I traded lambs this summer, and window-shopped at some other booths with the friend who traveled with me.  The only other item I actually purchased (other than a pin loom for someone else) was this stone shawl closure. It has a super-strong magnet on the back (so strong it's not safe for those with pacemakers!) so you can use it through your shawl and a blouse or t-shirt to hold it in place; the vendor was recommended by both Wanda and another friend.
(Sorry for the background color of the text above,
but it's not a quick and easy fix so it stays.)

I didn't plan to be gone so long, so there wasn't much 'day' in which to get things done upon my return. Rick was finishing up grading the arena after blowing out leaves (again), a much needed and long overdue maintenance chore made easier by our new tractor. I would love to have ridden a cooped-up Stella but couldn't justify taking more 'me time' after being gone from 9 to 5, and he didn't finish until about sundown. (I should have just done it, because I didn't have another chance to get her out until yesterday afternoon and she was practically self-combusting after four days!)

While proxy-shopping is fun, the aftermath is a bit of a slog. I take photos to send, figure out shipping so I can give each person their total due, find boxes to ship them all, pack them up and take them to the post office. As of tonight, after three busy days, most of them are sent, and it makes me happy to think of the joy all those packages will bring when they are opened by eager hands.

That's it for now from . . .

6 comments:

Leigh said...

Proxy shopping! That's a very cool idea that never would have occurred to me. I can see how the shopping part would have been a lot of fun, but the packing and shipping not so much fun.

I've yet to find a shawl closure that I truly like, and think the magnet pin idea is very clever.

So nice that you got to meet up with friends and acquaintances. Sounds like a great day.

Michelle said...

Leigh, I haven't used the magnet "pin" yet but think I will like it very much. She has so many beautiful options, too! And yes, Sunday was fun, even if the rest of the week has been a bit of a slog.

A :-) said...

So kind of you to proxy shop! I haven't been to a fiber festival since before the pandemic and I'm starting to get twitchy :-D I confess that I did just succumb to getting some yarn from Ewetopia. Now that Tina from Blue Moon Fiber Arts has temporarily closed (I believe - but am not sure - that she's dealing with supplier issues and illness), I haven't gotten any Socks That Rock for quite some time. It is one of my favorite yarns, but I've been scouting around for a good replacement. Ewetopia's Wisco Sock is pretty great, and I got enough to make myself a matching set of arm warmers, socks or a hat, and (hopefully) leg warmers - all done on my CSM. Crossing my fingers. That pin you got is something!

Jeanne said...

Just what can you call a pin that's not really pin? It would sound silly to call it a magnet! I don't have the answer, but what you got is beautiful! Maybe it's a decorative piece?

The picture of Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins is really nice!

It's nice that you were able to help so many friends with your proxy shopping.

Fat Dormouse said...


How kind of you to be a "proxy shopper" - I'm not sure I would like the responsibility of buying for other people. I would hate them to be disappointed by my choices!

That shawl "pin" is a great idea.

Michelle said...

A, I probably don't "do" fiber festivals anymore like most do, since I don't shop for yarn and rarely for fiber. I need to get busy and use what I have!

Jeanne, how about a fastener? I used it last Sabbath and took a photo I'll share in my next post; it works wonderfully!

Alison, Jenkins spindles are so hard to get anymore that most people are thrilled to get the model they want and aren't too picky about its wood or weight. But I do send them photos of what I get; if someone was disappointed and didn't want to pay for it – or if they got it and it wasn't what they wanted – either of us could sell it in a snap at full price.