Wednesday, October 04, 2023

Fall flurry

There has been no further progress on becoming a weaver, as I need to wait until my mentor can come over again. That won't be for a couple weeks, as she is going out of town tomorrow. That's a good thing, as we've been busy preserving 'windfalls.' One of Rick's clients gave us bushels of beautiful table grapes, so we've been steaming and canning grape juice (and I froze six pints of grapes for future frozen fruit salad). Another client gave him peaches, big beautiful peaches that aren't perfect enough to sell. Can you believe it? Picking peaches in October!?! So we've been freezing them, trying to squeeze them in among the pints of prunes I put up thinking we weren't getting any peaches this year. Such blessings, but they keep us hopping 'til late every night.

In the meantime, apples continue to litter the ground under our trees; I still need to make more applesauce and pie filling even though I'm running low on jars thanks to the juice. I was hoping to have time to get to that Sunday afternoon after Poppy and I got home from an agility trial, but ran out of time . . .  and steam. The trial was an interesting experience, quite different from our first three. Poppy completely blew me off in our first class, to the point of jumping out of the competition arena and running off to meet and greet on the grounds. Talk about humbling; I figured I'd just wasted our entry fees and a Sunday I could have been working at home. But she turned that around in our second and third classes, qualifying in both and winning the third, which included our first competition weave poles and teeter.


When we finally got home Sunday, Rick and Brian were initiating our new tractor by loading and spreading manure, another of those fall chores. Still on the fall agenda is to acquire more firewood. Crafting is going to have to wait awhile!

P.S. I've been unable to comment on some blogs lately, including A's and Dormouse's. I know some readers have had trouble commenting here at times, too. Frustration on both ends, I'm sure!

That's it for now from . . .

9 comments:

Leigh said...

Congratulations to Poppy! Sounds like she's getting the hang of competition. And good for you for hanging in there.

I've never had home canned grape juice before. Looks so pretty in the jars! The peaches look really good too. Nice windfalls!

Michelle said...

Yes, we did, Donna – a total surprise!

Leigh, I'm not a big fan of juice, preferring the benefits of eating whole fruit, but my husband LOVES to make, drink and share it so we do. It comes out in lots of different colors and shades, but this pink one (from red grapes the owner calls "strawberry grapes") is really pretty.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, those peaches look scrumptious!!

A :-) said...

Do you ever pickle the peaches? That's one of my very favorite treats. I always get a bunch of jars of them anytime I go through Shipshewana, Indiana (Amish country and only a couple of hours away from me). I love to get them there because the Amish don't use chemicals or other bizarre ingredients. And I have no idea why you might not be able to comment on my blog. That's also bizarre. Let me do a little checking. It's very possible that I hit some setting at some point and gummed up the works.

A :-) said...

Michelle - please try again. I did check and somehow something was checked that I think was causing commenting issues. I appreciate you letting me know you had a problem. Crossing my fingers that I've fixed it :-)

Michelle said...

A, I've never made or eaten pickled peaches, and we don't like them canned. I just tried to comment on your blog again, but no go. The hang-up comes when I try to log in as required; it won't LET me log in!

Jeanne said...

It was a delight this evening, to find your latest blog!

I'm so glad you got some peaches, at last! You really have a wonderful abundance of fruit, now! My mom always canned the whole halves of the peaches, and having grown up with those, I did that too, and even pears, as well.

It's almost funny, thinking of Poppy taking off to do the meet and greet thing! But I feel sorry that she did that. Good, though that she did well after that. It reminds me so much of Rico - he loves to see people, whom he thinks will be new friends! He especially loves to go to our favorite BiMart, and see all the friends he knows who work there. He's so funny! Earlier this week, Marlys took him into a different BiMart, and two of those employees, said "There he is!"

A :-) said...

Ugh - would you give it a go one more time? I changed two more settings. I have no idea why all of a sudden it's crabby with you.

Michelle said...

A, I tried again. Your blog reacted differently this time, but I can't tell if my comment went through and if it identified the commentor.

Mokihana, if you see this comment, I'm having the same problem on your blog. I think it is an issue with WordPress blogs.

Sue, this variety isn't the tastiest or juiciest type of peach we've had, but we are thrilled to have some!

Jeanne, I WISH we liked canned fruit better, because they are shelf-stable and not subject to power outages.