Wednesday, August 02, 2023

TdF report

I spun or plied every day of the 2023 Tour de France/Tour de Fleece, and continued through the dates of the women's race following. As a result, I surprised myself with my productivity. I finished plying the rest of the Wensleydale and suri alpaca (after spinning more alpaca), then spun and plied all the roving I had left from Rechel (the plying was done during the women's race), then skeined all the Wensleydale/suri and the Shetland, then got the Shetland washed and measured.





Now I'm considering patterns for Rechel's light grey yarn; Honeycomb is the top contender.


I washed Spot's neck fleece and today tried to prep it for spinning by using my Indigo Hound combs for the first time, then switching to my flicker brush. Neither produced satisfactory results and I ended up throwing it away; life is too short to spin unenjoyable fiber. So I switched to my 'rare breed project.' During TdF,  I acquired two colors of Harsil roving and some Zwartbles roving with the intention to make colorwork fingerless mitts or maybe mittens. Today I started spinning the Zwartbles:

In other news, I've been busy picking plums (not prunes) using my basket fruit picker. I've never gotten more than a handful from this tree, but this year it is loaded. I'm eating them several times a day, putting them in Rick's lunches, and tonight I made a lovely plum crumble. I haven't made jam in years because we don't use much, but I think they would make a very tasty version.

That's it for now from . . .

8 comments:

Leigh said...

Michelle, your yarns are so scrumptious. I love the balls you create with the drop spindle. It's nice to have something like an event to watch where you're able to be so productive.

Your mention of your rare breed project reminded me of my own years ago. I just found all its leftover odds and ends of yarn the other day!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Your yarn is beautiful! I can't wait to see your vest :-D. I think that's a perfect pattern for you!

Tim B. Inman said...

Tarte Tatin? You've gotta die from somethin'!!!

On another note: I have just recently been learning about WW1 sock knitting machines. All new to me. They look something like a home cherry pitter that screws onto a board with a hand crank. New to you? If it's a machine, I'm interested, of course.

Cheers from Oakdale Farm

Michelle said...

Leigh, here's an admission: I don't watch a single minute of the bike races. I just spin!

Thanks for the affirmation, Sara!

Ha; I had to look up Tarte Tatin, Tim! No danger of being tempted; never had/have puff pastry on the premises. I have a friend who has a old sock knitting machine that she uses and has taken to 'crank-ins.' You'd probably love it!

A :-) said...

I agree that life is too short to spin unpleasant fiber. I spun my share of it when I was a beginner (Lincoln - it's just not my kind of fiber).

As always, your yarn is lovely. You really get a lot done on your spindles - far more than I ever get done on my wheel :-D

Mokihana said...

Your spinning is beautifully done, and I love your finished yarn. You got a lot done for TdF! And those plums look so delicious!

Michelle said...

That's why I love spindles, A! So portable, so easy to pick up and spin a little here and there (although I can also spin for long periods on one); it all adds up!

Thanks, Mokihana. And I am so sorry for your hurting heart and those of all who know and love Maui.

Retired Knitter said...

I am always in awe of your spinning. It is always so perfect.