Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Hunkering down and thankful

We are sweltering through our hottest spell of the year yet, days of triple digits. Our heat pump is running full time to keep the house at 80°, except for a few hours' break in the early morning when I can give it a breather and open all the windows. But we have a home, and we have electricity, sweet well water (which I am downing in great quantities with ice), and vehicles with air conditioning, and I recognize and appreciate that we are so very, very blessed.



All our woolly, feathered, haired, and furry creatures are doing okay. Poppy and Chuckie actually seem to enjoy the heat – Poppy because she is so fit and lean, and Chuckie because I am convinced cats are solar-powered. Yesterday afternoon I got home from work and let the dogs out to relieve themselves. When Leo appeared soon after at the deck door asking to be let back in, I glanced out and saw Poppy basking on the parched lawn in the sun; my triple-digit Decker. 🙄


I am concerned about some barn swallow nestlings in the Sheep Sheridan. I didn't realize there were babies in the nest until last night when I did chores; I heard them peeping. Had I seen the adults recently? I didn't think so. This morning I could only see one, and it was quiet; still no adults. I hope they were out catching the plentiful flies, and are finding water sources. The nearby winery does have a small pond.

I've watered all the outdoor pots once again. A big bowl of pasta salad is chilling in the fridge for supper. A load of laundry is running; it will dry quickly on the indoor rack. In between checking off items on my to-do list, I spin wool while listening to audiobooks. This heat can't last forever.

8 comments:

Leigh said...

I think everybody is ready for August to pass! Finding things to be thankful for really helps, doesn't it?

Michelle said...

Always and in everything, Leigh!

Mama Pea said...

Our temperatures aren't excessively high, but we sure have the humidity. My garden is lush and full, bursting with harvest, but so drenched with heavy dew each morning that it's afternoon before I can do anything out there without donning a raincoat. Ah, August. As my husband just said a few minutes ago, "Well, it's the same every year. It's August!" And we're thankful to live where we do and have so many blessings. So, so appreciative!

Florida Farm Girl said...

We've been so fortunate this summer in that we haven't had those really high temps. The last couple of days have been our highest but even they weren't unbearable. The heat has broken here and it was in the 50's this morning. Best of all the humidity level has broken and gone back to normal for us. That's what lets us be comfortable. I think our high today is supposed to be about 80 degrees. Y'all stay cool as you can and stay safe.

Michelle said...

Dew? What is this thing 'dew', Mama Pea??? I'll take the heat over your humidity. Even in high heat, getting the dry air moving cools one by evaporating sweat.

I'm happy for you, Sue. Much of the summer we have been relatively comfortable while most of the U.S. sweltered, so I figure it's our turn.

A :-) said...

Triple digit temps are not usual for your area, are they? I guess I think of the Pacific Northwest as damp and rainy most of the time. Hang in :-)

Retired Knitter said...

Michelle, I was raised without air-conditioning in an apartment without cross ventilation. I don’t know how we did it back in those days. Yes, are are blessed to have a roof over our heads and food aplenty and family ... and the list goes on. But in these hotter than normal summer days - air conditioning is just the most amazing invention.

I had to laugh at your comment that cats are solar powered. I like to think of them having a distant lizard relative hidden in their family tree.

Jeanne said...

These days of triple digit temperatures have been more than what we want to have. Plus the smoke from the wildfires north of us, has been really bad. It's a little better today but still not good. And as mentioned earlier, at least we don't have high humidity! I'm very thankful for the heat pump we had installed 10 or 15 years ago! Talk about blessings!

Have a good day!