Friday, February 03, 2023

Happy Anniversary, Poppy!

I had started a blog post about all that has been keeping me busy, when it occurred to me this morning that it must be (or close to) Poppy's homecoming anniversary. So I looked back at posts from three years ago (one of the biggest benefits of blogging), and found that I'd missed it by a day – I brought our adorable Decker pup home on February 2, 2020. (To see an absolute avalanche of adorableness, click here.) Today she is the mature and generous 'big sister,' budding agility star, and ever the avid hunter (as I type this she's running from door to window to door, bark-screaming at squirrels):







The end of January through yesterday I was wading through the weeds of corporate taxes. I thought I had them done and dusted last Sunday; then on Monday morning our CPA notified me of needed changes. Sigh; it's all so out of my wheelhouse. Yesterday when I met with her, I asked the CPA to give us an estimate on doing the quarterly and year-end tax reports as well as our annual corporate and personal filing. Rick may squawk, but if she ends up with "clean-up in Aisle 3" anyway, she might as well do it once and done. Now to gather up the materials for our personal taxes....

In more pleasant pursuits, I have been spinning, plying, and prepping yarn for knitting projects, thanks to the inspiration of the Jenkins spindle group on Ravelry. I also did the join on a headband I knit from leftover luxury yarn spun by a blogpal and used to make two gift hats. I thought the headband might be a lambing contest prize (yes, one is still going to be announced), but I wear headbands much more often than hats so just might just keep it for myself.






The hens continue to bump up production, giving me seven eggs a day twice so far, with five/day being common:

I just found out that the coworker who has been buying all my extra eggs is going to start traveling at the end of this month – basically for the rest of this year! I bought the four hens from the moving neighbors specifically to keep up with her desires; guess I'd better spread the word in the neighborhood to see if I can find some new customers.

That's it for now from . . .

10 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Happy anniversary, Poppy :-D

Lovely spinning, as always!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Poppy and her family + new pup! So may beautiful colors & variations, looking forward to see the finished projects. WI-Dee

marlane said...

Poppy has come a long way and she looks so cute with her companion dog. At least now eggs are thought to be a healthy addition to the diet so you have got that going for you, I am sure those yolks are a beautiful dark yellow.

Michelle said...

And you know who got me using a spindle, Sara. 😊

You know I'll show the 'FOs' here, Dee, if I manage to get any done!

Marlane, I wouldn't want to contribute to Rick's heart disease, so use cholesterol-laden eggs judiciously.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Well heck, reckon you could loft those extras cross country? I bet you'll have takers real quick if you put the word out. Wish I was close enough.

Mama Pea said...

Your spinning, plying and prepping work is beautiful, as usual. Oooh, those colors! Greatly enjoyed see all those adorable pictures of Poppy Puppy. Leo and Poppy seem so happy to have each other, don't they? :o)

Jeanne said...

Oh, wow! Your spinning, as always, is so lovely! I'm always impressed!

Poppy has been such a delight to read about and see in your pictures. I'd love to meet her. It's so cute to see her and Leo playing - such a difference in looks!

I think Poppy and Rico must be really close in age! We have often wished we knew what his birthday is. At least we know what his lineage is since I gave them a DNA test for his first Christmas. It's very interesting!

Michelle said...

Sue, I would send you some if I could! We actually have a few people in our 'neighborhood' with hens so there may not be a demand right around here. My husband's office manager brings her eggs to sell at his clinic, so that is out, too.

Thanks for the spinning compliments, Mama Pea and Jeanne. I do enjoy it so. And yes, I think Poppy is happy to have a dog pal – although sometimes he seems to wear her out!

A :-) said...

So happy that Poppy didn't have any lasting ill effects from getting stepped on when she was little. That's bothersome about your main egg client being gone for the rest of the year. Maybe put a sign out on the road at the end of your driveway?

Susan said...

Boy, I wish we lived closer - I do so miss my hens and their wonderful eggs. They are a valuable commodity around here. I think that Poppy is just divine. Such a leggy girl. I do not envy you the tax work. I am having to file for Mom, the estate and me. I can't even imagine having to file corporate taxes!