Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Hiccups

“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” That may be, but apparently some of us have to take that first step over and over – and over – again. Last week I did some brushing up on Fair Isle (here and here), then cast on the Crofthoose Hat … at least three times. 🙄 Finally decided that nighttime was not the best time to start a project like this and went to bed. The next morning with better light and a quieter house (note to self: these two things are ESSENTIAL), I began again, successfully, and knit on into the corrugated ribbing. Had to set down my knitting momentarily for some reason, and when I came back, Leo had strewn my project from one end of the living room, around the couch and wingback chair, to the other, unraveling a portion of four rows of stranded colorwork. 😳😫😩 I am rather proud of myself that I not only did not kill the dog or shed tears, I managed to salvage my knitting and finish the brim and then some. Rest assured, my project bag is now safely stowed somewhere Frenchie-proof when I'm not knitting!

It's a good thing he's cute – and loved!


I also finished plying the rest of the dark mystery fiber, and spun up a sample of dyed Columbia/Rambouillet that was a real treat.
After recovery and repair



More than halfway done
Today I had some flock visitors, a couple who have had sheep before, and are interested in getting some Shetlands. We talked and peeked at a few fleeces, while Bridget, Broadway and Bling did their best to charm the couple. We'll see what happens, but it is nice to have (more) interest.

That's it for now at . . .

9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I say happy, energetic, mischievous Leo is mighty lucky to still be in one piece! Obviously he thought you had spent so much time and effort knitting him fun toy. Arrrrgh.

Michelle said...

Exactly, Mama Pea. He is SO playful. I already knew he can't be trusted around electrical cords.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Puppies... :-o

marlane said...

Thankfully you could salvage your work. I knitted for myself many years ago a sweater and accidentally left it in a horses stall overnight. It was on the ground the next morning and had been played with but was still in one piece. I wore it for many years afterwards. Only those who are knitters and crocheters know how much time and energy it takes to make something, especially on smaller needles.

Leigh said...

So Leo's been in the dog house! And I thought cats were bad! Sounds like he didn't destroy the yarn, thankfully. And good for you for keeping your cool!

Tim B. Inman said...

This one hits home for me - and is timely. After owning the foundations of an ornamental lathe for nearly 25 years, and walking around it in my shop daily, I decided this winter that it was now, or never. So, I've been working away to build what's missing, and learn all about what wasn't. The lathe was made in 1872, and I'm now 73, sooo..... Persistence! Cheers.

Susan said...

It IS a good thing he's so cute! That is a lovely hat, my dear.

A :-) said...

Light and quiet. Sometimes they are essential! :-)

Jeanne said...

Oh, yes! Puppies can really get into mischief, can't they! I'm glad you were able to get the knitting going again. it could have been much worse! Thankfully, Rico didn't get into very much trouble when he was a baby. He's still very active, and also goofy. The ladies at our yarn club decided that he's a clown!

Your hat is going to be beautiful! I'm anxious to see it all finished.

I hope little Leo will settle down a bit. It's dangerous to chew on electrical cords!