Monday, February 27, 2023

Notable February happenings









The neighbor building a snowman

In between snow showers, it was a Currier & Ives postcard
Mt. Hood on an evening walk down the lane on the 25th
Yesterday morning with a little rain added=slicker 'n snot!
Yesterday afternoon after thawing a lot
Then it did this for awhile

First and foremost, February has been "winter" here. Yeah, we got a dusting of snow and some freezing weather in December, but mostly we've been stereotypically Pacific Northwest cool and wet. We got our first significant snow on Valentines Day; our second, more-significant snow on February 23. It was beautiful – and is still sticking around in spots, although yesterday saw significant meltage. (It also saw heavy snowfall that started to accumulate again, but that was short-lived.) It also got quite windy and cold for awhile, down to 20° with 'feels like' in the teens. Rick put the heater in the horses' stock tank; for everyone one else, I scurried around supplying liquid refreshment – thawing the hummingbird nectar, swapping out a frozen font for one filled with warm water for the chickens, breaking ice in the sheep buckets and adding hot water. And feeding. Feed is the fuel for all the animals' central furnaces; as long as they have water, food, and shelter, they're all good. Surprisingly, the dogs were unfazed by the cold and snow, dashing around as usual, but of course they get to come back inside eventually to warm up and nap.



February has also seen more knitting action than the last several years combined, I think. I did cast on for a second Fair Isle hat and hope to finish it by the end of the month. Yes, that's tomorrow, but I'm on the crown decreases now so it's do-able.
Da Crofter's Kep


Rick is currently basking in warmth and sunshine in Wellington, Florida – not that I am at all envious (I am SUCH a homebody). Well, basking isn't really the correct description; he's suffering from a bad cold and attending a two-day veterinary workshop being held at one of the many fancy horse facilities in this winter horse show capital of the country.

His meetings are in the barn – yes, that's a barn – on the right


Yesterday I had a most enjoyable visitor, the talent behind Silver Falls Fiber Co. A bit of Leann's fiber was included with my most recent spindle acquisition and I liked it so much I contacted her about getting more. She got busy with her dyepots and then offered to deliver it! Of course, she brought along other goodies in addition to the one I requested and I ended up with two braids. We talked about dogs, sheep (and, of course, visited my sheep), spinning, knitting, fiber, and parents; we are definitely kindred spirits. She is working on a website and recently purchased a building in Silverton where she plans to open a storefront featuring U.S.-sourced fiber dyed by her; in the meantime, let me know if you want her email to acquire your own fiber fix!
L–Columbia/Rambouillet; R–Targhee
Lambing is not going to be a February happening here, but Brian helped me get ready for the eventuality. Together we cleaned out the extra stall in the barn, so it can be divided into lambing jugs and bedded with straw.



That's it for now from . . .

5 comments:

Michelle said...

At least quite a month, Marlane!

Briana Wever said...

I was wondering how you folks were doing with the snow down there! We got maybe a couple of inches combined over the last week but it still warranted a day off school 😅

Jeanne said...

We, too, have been having a not-so-nice winter. Definitely not what is usual for Oregon. Your outdoor pictures are really pretty. And I got a chuckle with the one of your neighbor building a snowman. I especially love the one of Mt. Hood! It's such a lovely mountain.

The Kep is beautiful!! I really like the colors.

It seems like you are really getting ready for lambing! I'm looking forward to seeing the babies.

A :-) said...

The weather is odd everywhere - here in Chicagoland it has been unseasonably warm. I think I've only had my driveway cleared once, and that was the Christmas Eve storm. Very unusual. I'm getting excited for your lambies :-)

Michelle said...

Got at least 3" more today, Briana!

Thanks for all the compliments, Jeanne. I finished the Kep last night, but don't like how the crown turned out (I changed the colors from the pattern, and shouldn't have). But I can't see that part when it's on, and it IS warm and comfortable....

I suppose Chicagoland could still get slammed with winter weather, but this is late for us. I'm getting impatient for lambs, but based on the state of the udders, it'll be awhile yet.