Tuesday, July 02, 2013

A dent and a detour

Monday was day 3 of the Tour de Fleece. I got in quite a bit of mileage on my miniSpinner, and do believe I'm making a dent in my big bag of Browning! I'm trying to spin this fast and furious instead of in my usual highly controlled manner; I figure that's the only way I will possibly finish it all. To balance out some of the thick and thin spots, I may carefully Navajo-ply these singles . . . eventually.

Just when you think you have your course mapped out, up pops a detour. Sunday we picked up our mail from the day before, and there was a little package from Jenkins Woodworking. In it was this, a prize for the 2012 TdF:
Oregon oak Aegean with 'Sea Squall' BamHuey (60/40 merino/bamboo)

Nope, no possible way to avoid that scenic detour! I did wait to try it out until Brian's violin lesson Monday afternoon.



By the end of the day, this was my total progress:
A little blue, a little Bubblegum, and a lot of Browning!
We have one more day of extreme (for us) heat to endure, according to the forecast, and then we are supposed to moderate to more normal temps. The garden likes the heat,
Grow, zucchini, grow!

and the chickens like the soft dirt of their new pen!
The new pen is not quite ready for pullets yet.
That's it for Monday from . . .

14 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

Congrats on your prize, nice. Yup, I wish I had a wooly winder. I have 2 bobbins spun full on the Ashford, need to empty off 2 other bobbins that only have a small amount on them otherwise I need more bobbins from somewhere. Got 4 with the wheel think I have bought 6 more, can't keep buying new bobbins everytime I fill one up. LOL. Time to ply some more.

Susan said...

My goodness! Brian is getting tall and better and better on the fiddle. I love those video clips. You sure bit off a lot of spinning there, girl. And how could you NOT wind something on that lovely object?

thecrazysheeplady said...

Yay Brian. That was AWESOME!!!!!!

Um, when the heck did he get those long arms and legs?!?

farmlady said...

That fiddle playing was awesome! I mean AWESOME. Wow!
Good luck on the Navaho ply.

Thirteen Sheep (Or More) said...

I will replay that video in the morning when my guy comes for coffee. I'm way impressed, and he will be even more so! Good job Brian!

That is one sweet little spindle!

Michelle said...

But plying means finished yarn, so YAY! Go ply!

Michelle said...

Thank-you all for your comments about Brian's playing. He actually played his two current fiddle songs voluntarily for his dad last night, and then admitted that he LIKES to play violin! Victory!

Shine said...

AWESOME!!!! I LOVE the fiddle music! Three of my four children play violin.....our third son is actually in NYC right now studying with the National Youth Orchestra of the USA! Keep up those lessons!!!
Blessings~~Shine

Unknown said...

thumbs up!

Tina T-P said...

Well that little spindle was worth waiting for - how adorable. I have no interest in spindle spinning, but they sure are cute and such pretty works of art. Makes you want to collect them just for that. :-) T.

Anonymous said...

Love that new drop spindle! That is one big bag of gorgeous fleece there my friend! Do you just spin from the locks or do you comb or card it?
Happy July 4th,
Hugs,
Beth P

Michelle said...

I read about your son on your blog, Shine; that's so GREAT!

Michelle said...

I love being able to spin anywhere with them, Tina, plus all the pretty woods, plus all the pretty cops, plus.... Yeah, I love my Jenkins Turkish spindles. :-)

Michelle said...

The bag is full of commercially prepared roving, Beth. With everything else going on in my life it would take me AGES to process a whole fleece! (It might turn out better, though; this roving's prep isn't great.)