Sunday, October 24, 2010

Simmering Sunday

I didn't get nearly as much done today as I planned; isn't that the way it always goes? I did get two double batches of green tomato salsa put up (six quarts and six pints), though, and the house smells deliciously vinegary.

Between and amidst the rain showers and downpours, Rick and Brian got the rest of the wood stacked in the woodshed. We're going to get a load of maple from a friend to keep that oak going, and then we'll be set with wood for the winter. Brian has been begging to have a fire, but it really isn't cold enough. Rick did turn on the furnace this weekend, though. Since it was his birthday, I bit my tongue. After all, he couldn't have his usual from-scratch German Chocolate Cake. I did, however, make him a very tasty lower-fat cheesecake, which we topped with pureed raspberries from our own patch. The filling was neufchatel cheese, fat-free sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and vanilla; I made the crust with graham crackers, a bit of sugar and Smart Balance. Brian liked it so much he wants it for his birthday!

It's supposed to be a wet week here, but that's fall in NW Oregon for you. Plenty of opportunity for indoor activities - like making the applesauce that didn't get done today!

That's it for now from . . .

3 comments:

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

I'm envious of your Oregon weather ... I lived in Eugene for about 10 years, and in LaGrande for 6 years prior to Eugene... I sure miss it! Texas is the PITS! ;)

Laura said...

I caved and turned my heater on, too. Since you didn't say how Rick liked his cake, I'm glad Brian liked it - it sounds yummy!!

Michelle said...

Anna, Eugene and LaGrande are pretty different, weatherwise. Which did you like better? I like the valley.

Laura, Rick liked it just fine!