Thursday, August 07, 2008

Exhibit E: grey

Rechel's son Blizz is Ag like mom, but not grey like mom! Born black with a krunet, he has yet to show any fading on his head and legs. His body fleece is also retaining more color than his twin's and older half-sister's did. It will be interesting to see how he matures. (And yes, this friendly wether with the gorgeous fleece is still for sale.)

The last exhibit will be one more manifestation of the Agouti gene, then back to our usual, more varied programming!

That's it for now from . . .

1 comment:

Laura said...

It's been interesting following your geneotype ramblings. I know that I've gotten some surprises (white ram x badger ewe = moorit?). I got the chance to take a class from Dr. Phil Sponenberg at BSG 2 years ago on color genetics in sheep - very, very interesting. Simplistically, there are 4 main color influencing genes, but there are lots of modifiers, so it's really hard to tell what the genotype is from the phenotype - you can get close, but I think that's all... The only thing I can be sure of is that some of my gray badgers (katmoget, to you) carry the "brown" gene, since they produce moorit badgers. It's just one of the reasons I like to make my genetic experiments in the back pasture! I love your fleece pictures - makes me want to roll in them!!