Thursday, October 25, 2007

Date night





Rick and I don't go on dates often, like all those marriage books and counselors say you should. It's not that we disagree with the advice, although we DID get 20+ years (between dating and marriage) to do things as a couple before Brian came along. It's mostly that Rick's schedule as an ambulatory large animal vet is pretty unpredictable; we can MAKE plans, but a colicky horse can derail them with one phone call.

Last night was one of those infrequent exceptions, made easier by the presence of my sister to babysit and throw supper hay to the four-legged beasties. Rick got tickets to a pre-season Portland Trailblazers game from a friend is who one of the team dentists (who knew they had team dentists?!). He managed to block off his schedule from mid-afternoon on, so away we went to downtown Portland. Rush-hour traffic was predictably bad, but we arrived in time to eat at a Thai restaurant near the Rose Quarter, find a parking space within walking distance, and get to the game. The seats were AMAZING -- we were about five rows up from the court! It was a fun game to watch, too. The Blazers started off strong in the first quarter, faltered a bit in the second, stumbled badly in the third, and then rallied to win by two points in the final moments of the game. Sitting that close you get a much better sense of how physical a game basketball is (I've played, but women aren't as rough). Watching the players shove and bump each other, especially when it wasn't necessary, reminded me a lot of rams jostling for dominance. I guess testosterone works pretty much the same across the board!

That's it for now from . . .

5 comments:

Windyridge said...

Team dentists? I didn't know that either? is there a team shrink too? LOL

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

I'm glad you got a chance to get away from the farm and its responsibilities, and in such a fun way, too! We got to go the Suns playoffs last season and had a ball (pardon the pun) as well.

Oh, and to answer windyridge's question, yes they do.

Kathy said...

I'm glad you and your hubby got to get away for a bit. I know you needed it - to have some time just for the two of you. :)

(My DD & DSIL are now in Tucson and will be headed up here next week. It will be so nice to see them!

Hugs from the SW....

Sharon said...

So in answer to the question, Is there a doctor in the house? at your place would be - Yes! How convenient to have your own resident vet!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your comment that women (basketball players) aren't as rough brought back a memory from my high school b'ball playing days.

It was our practice time (I think) but for some reason some of the boy's team were also there as well. And what better than a bit of "mixed" practice?
I defended the basket against the boy's star centre. By the time he scored - and being nearly a foot taller than me, it wasn't a very long time - I felt like I had been through the wars. His elbow had repeatedly done a very pointed jabbing job on my face.

Janey
janeyknitting AT yahoo DOT ca