Monday, September 10, 2007

"Fall" shearing

This afternoon three of my six woolies got sheared again. It was a very summery mid-90s and the girls are all a bit pudgy (okay, two of them are downright FAT), so it was an uncomfortable ordeal for them, poor dears. I will be taking their clean, coated fleeces to the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival to enter in the fiber show and hopefully sell. Not that I would be heartbroken to have these nice fleeces to use myself! But I still have three dirty fleeces from this spring to process, and I must be realistic about how much time I have to play with fiber. Below is my sweet Valentine, and her until-recently attached fawn(?) fleece -- dark belly wool skirted off.

With a little help from our friends, we made it home last night from our final horsecamping trip of the year. When we arrived at the campgrounds Friday night (we had to fix a flat tire before leaving), I noticed that our extended hitch was angling downward under the weight of the horse trailer. I don't remember it ever looking like that before, so I pointed it out to Rick. He crawled under the truck to discover a broken weld (one of six). He thought it would "probably" get us home okay, but when you have three horses in your trailer and are driving on interstate most of the way, "probably" doesn't cut it! So a committee of men came up with a way to rig up some extra support, someone who lives out our direction with an extra spot in their trailer took Rick's horse Sam, and we loaded Oliver and Russell as far to the back of our trailer as we could. Thankfully we made it home just fine, but will be replacing the hitch on our truck before hauling with it again!

That's it for now at . . .

3 comments:

sheila said...

Good luck at your show. Do you have a hard time finding someone to shear? I had to do it myself last time and my poor girls..well let's just say they were on their rears for quite a while.

Sharon said...

Your heart must have been in your throat and you'll probably never forget that drive. Ian and I had a scary drive once a number of years ago and I know I'll never forget it. What a grace that you should have noticed that!!

shepherdchik said...

Oh wow...I'm always nervous about the trailer. You must have held your breath the whole way!

By the way, your angora blend yarn for your shawl is almost done!