Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Mulled whine

(P.S. – that's PREscript – there are happy little bite-sized snacks over on Instagram in case long, whiney posts like this one give you heartburn! 😉)

Yesterday started out like a real Monday. I'm not prejudiced against the first workday of the week, really, I'm not; usually it's just another day, albeit the busiest one schedule-wise. But Brian didn't get up until ten minutes before he needed to leave for school (no way to get chores done in that time and no, we don't let him off the hook) and then took his foul mood out on everyone, two- and four-legged. After he mistreated Dozer my gloves came off, earning me a phone call later from my "D"H that felt suspiciously reprimanding. Maybe I wouldn't have felt so assaulted had not my latest tooth to undergo work hurt since Friday, increasing my sense of dental dread. Later, when I was carefully eating an apple at work, another tooth panged sharply. I tell you, I might as well start buying food in little glass Gerber jars! I'll need to buy new pants, too, because mine are all getting baggy from fear of eating.

On my way to pick up the ingrate my DS from school, I called a dear friend. She lives too far away now (Virginia), but has to come "home" for Christmas and summer breaks (divorce/visitation), and I wanted to know when she arrives. Okay; I also needed to hear a friendly voice. In the course of conversation, she offered to transport me to and from my next dentist appointment so I can take advantage of offered medication to make the procedures less traumatic (the only option available, as my dental clinic isn't plumbed for nitrous oxide) – which made me cry with relief and appreciation! Things looked brighter after that, more in line with our current weather which is unseasonably bright – and cold.
Not that I'm complaining; it's nice to have the mud frozen for awhile. It's been so dry that the cold nights leave little frost, but I managed to capture some this morning.

But now that we finally have lights on the Christmas tree as of Sunday night (no ornaments yet; we wouldn't want to rush this process 😒), gray, gloomy mornings and long, dark evenings will be cheerily lit from INside.
And I just may take advantage of that ladder and decorate the tree myself. But first, I need to go take some more Tylenol....

That's it for now from . . .

5 comments:

Theresa said...

So sorry about the ongoing dental problems, so painful and so dang expensive. And the teenager sure did need a reprimand if he was venting on 4 legged family members.
What a beautiful tree though, I'm jealous, we haven't even cut ours yet.
Sending out good karma your way.

Retired Knitter said...

Raising teens can be so trying. Take a deep breath and that Tylenol. And yes, it was what I would do ... calling him to task when he took out his angst on a family pet - any animal actually. There are some acceptable ways to deal with anger and some unacceptable ways. That is part of learning how to be an adult. With such great parents he will learn that lesson I am sure. Teen years have a well earned reputation for being difficult - but they are critical years in the formation of responsible adults. He has a good base. This, too, shall pass. :-)

C-ingspots said...

Sorry Michelle. Pain from your teeth, AND pain in your behind (thanks to Brian) are understandable reasoning for you to feel overwhelmed. Go ahead, kick his teen-aged butt, you'll feel better for having done it!!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

If you could come to VA, I'd take care of you for a while! It's so easy to be a Monday morning quarterback, as the saying goes. It's so easy to parent from afar as well. Being mean to others because OUR choices are messing up our day is NOT acceptable. You were right, the child was wrong and the spouse needs to support you. Just my 2 cents but Dave and I always said, the person in the midst of it make the best decision they can ---for that moment---and the other spouse supports. PERIOD. We didn't have children but we did have his mother the last 6 of her 8 years. She died when she was 95.5 and could be a holy terror. But then, can't we all at times? lol
Merry Christmas and Take Those Meds!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your trials and tribulations. Hopefully things will improve soon.