Monday, July 29, 2013

Sweatshirt excitement

This morning dawned overcast and cool, after yesterday's much more comfortable weather than we've had of late. I actually wore a sweatshirt for morning chores, and it felt good! There's no real chance of moisture in the forecast, but the cooler temperatures are a welcome relief.

As soon as Brian let Perch out for the day, she ran off to her hidey spot. By the time chores were done, this was waiting
and Perch was back at her usual spot by the henhouse/yard, filling her crop.

With the pullets laying, our monthly egg tally (right column, scroll down) is at an all-time high. I need to get busy and freeze some eggs for this winter, when production slacks off. I also want to make a double batch of my favorite biscotti, which uses eggs as the sole moisture and fat source. That will be a good treat to take horse-camping next weekend.

We're already gearing up for that adventure. Yesterday when I got home from the horse show (Lance did well and we brought home blue and red ribbons), we unloaded and unhitched the trailer so we could put the camper on the truck. Brian is already packing, and talking about S'mores!

That's it for now from . . .

6 comments:

ewespin said...

How will you freeze eggs?

Tombstone Livestock said...

Another good use is hard boiled, I boil a dozen at a time, egg and olive sandwiches, sliced eggs in salads, deviled eggs, lots of uses for extra eggs.

Have fun on your camping trip, yummm, Brian, S'mores, and they make the extra large marshmallows now for that. Have you ever made disappearing marshmallows? They are good too, but don't know about making them on a camping trip.

I would so wish I would need a sweatshirt, and I have so many nice soft long sleeve turtleneck t-shirts that are not getting worn right now. Well August is about to zoom in here, getting closer to fall and winter.

YarnKettle said...

Yes, how do you freeze eggs?

Can we please have a tour of the camper too. I love to see the way people camp.

Thirteen Sheep (Or More) said...

You can freeze eggs? Who knew!
Brian, you are a man after my own heart.....S'mores!!
I've had to put on a sweatshirt for our morning run (The Gus runs, I take the 4-wheeler) between 6 and 7.
Have a good weekend!

Michelle said...

Okay everyone, I have yet to freeze eggs myself, but have complete faith in following in a blogpal's footsteps. Leigh blogs about doing it here: http://www.5acresandadream.com/2010/08/how-to-freeze-eggs.html (note the various hot links that discuss taste tests, etc.). I plan to freeze them without salt in an ice cube tray.

Audrey, what are disappearing marshmallows?

YarnKettle, our old camper is nothing exciting. I think our horse trailer has neater features!

YarnKettle said...

OK, How about a comparison post? Whether it is better to go camping as a human or a horse? Hee hee.