Friday, November 04, 2011

Camera vs. brain

Morning light filtering through the woods never ceases to draw my eye - and often my camera. Since manmade cameras lack the wondrous sophistication of the divinely designed human brain, I am often frustrated in my attempts to capture what I see. Playing with the pictures in Preview can bring them closer to reality, but sometimes it's fun to move them further away. This morning's examples:

SOOC (straight out of camera)

"Gamma" increased

SOOC converted to black & white ("saturation" at its lowest setting)
"Saturation" at its lowest, "gamma" increased:

Following is another example of the camera's struggle to capture what the eye can easily register. I finished Navajo-plying my Waterlilies singles and skeined it off a couple nights ago. The depth of color Laura dyed into this BFL/silk fiber is glorious - and beyond the abilities of my camera to portray accurately. The following two photos of the plied yarn on the niddy-noddy in artificial light and of the skeined yarn in natural light come close, with the top photo capturing it best.
BTW; I LOVE the results of Navajo-plying! There's over 1000 yards of yumminess there - probably enough for two Romi shawlettes.

That's it for today from . . .

9 comments:

Laura said...

Great job!! I also struggle with the camera output, but haven't played with "tweeking" the photos yet. I'll have to try it...

Christine said...

I completely understand how frustrating it is to capture the moment.

Girl, your spinning is awesome. Just awesome.

Sue said...

I actually like the SOOC shot the best, the kind of misty quality it has, though I'm sure the 2nd one is truer.

The yarn looks great! Laura does do great work, doesn't she?

Anonymous said...

All the experimenting with your camera pays off in stunning photos.
I've about given up trying to capture the beauty of the autumn colors all around.

I never thought to see if I could change things will in the preview mode.

Love your yarn! 1000+ yards of chain ply - wonderful!!! How many ounces/grams?

Black Sheep said...

Your pictures are so very interesting.. and that YARN.. OMG.. OMG.. I have been watching it's progress as you post about it and am just stunned each time.. and now I am anxious to see what you make with it..

Black Sheep

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Its so very pretty here on my monitor, I can't imagine how pretty it is in person.

Dianne@sheepdreams said...

Wow! That yarn is gorgeous...the color jumps right out of the computer. You did a beautiful job spinning it. Can't wait to see it knit up.

Sharon said...

Your spinning has progressed so much in the time I've known you. That yarn is flawless. Laura taught me too. I was sitting in her living room, making a mess of things, and she grabbed my hands, making me go through the right movements. Part of it is muscle memory and part of it is your eye, knowing then to change the chain length.

Theresa said...

The yarn is gorgeous, Michelle.

Love the trees in this post and the last.