Monday, September 14, 2026

Seeing our State Fair

As I told Leigh in response to her comment on my last post, the workaround to post my State Fair photos is a tedious and time-consuming one. But you all are worth it, right? Right?!? (Hint: this is your cue to leave a comment!😉)

From my first visit to my last, here are the best of the photos I took, with captions. Cooler weather than we sometimes have was kind to animals this year, so Rick had an easier time of it as state fair veterinarian – no overheated animals and less stress. The rain in the last few days put a damper on attendance, though, which probably stressed the management!

August 29
Mostly walking through and checking on livestock with Rick. 
Goats in Black
I hope this Nigerian doe won a prize!
What a funny haircut! I was told it was to make his too-small head look bigger.
This is a Spitti, a 'reverse' Valais Blacknose
The sow and piglets are a perennial crowd favorite. (There are 14!)
A Goliath Birdeater Tarantula – huge! (I spared you the snake photos)

August 31
A chance to visit my favorite sections – Creative Living and Visual Arts – while Rick worked on a colicking Percheron and checked the rest of the livestock.
Worth clicking to biggify; look at all the specific skills listed!
a cake decorated to look like counted cross stitch
I really should support this section with entries; I always forget.
Very  impressive weaving!
Reminds me of Texas Panhandle days; a Jackalope!
My people's choice vote went to the one in the middle.
Rick's field assistant restraining the patient

September 1
Brian and I drove down to meet up with Rick and his assistant to attend the Clint Black concert.
We had wood-fired pizzas for supper afterwards. 😋
September 6
Off to the fair early; we needed to go through all the petting zoo stock before the gates opened to issue health certificates.
staff were in the midst of replacing the shavings for the day
a girl and her heifer
this pig's legs were so fat it was hard to tell it was laying down
a girl and her pig
September 7 (Happy Labor Day!)
Five of us (Rick, Brian, me, Rick's field assistant and her brother) went in the afternoon to see Weird Al Yankovic in concert.
seen on the way in
Joined by Puddles, his opening act.
On our way out I saw this exhausted goat – a fitting image for The End.

13 comments:

nrf said...

Thank you for taking the time and tedium to post the photos. I love seeing all the well groomed animals though I especially have a soft spot for cows.

Michelle said...

You're welcome! I love cows, too, especially Jerseys and Shorthorns. Rick said there were Highland cows there part of the time, but I didn't get to see them.

Donna Schoonover said...

Great Photos- thank you!

Anonymous said...

These are great photos, Michelle. I'm surprised you don't enter some of your handspun - I'm sure you would win!! I hope Weird Al was funny. His songs always make me laugh.

Boulderneigh said...

You're welcome, Donna. 😁

Boulderneigh said...

Thanks. Yeah, I always think about entering handspun yarn or knitting projects too late to enter them. Weird Al was funny, amazingly energetic, and so obviously talented; I don't think I have appreciated just how talented he is!

Retired Knitter said...

Wow! I mean WOW. What a great fair! Wonderful pictures and I am forever grateful you skipped the snake pictures. I have a soft spot for pigs and goats. Don’t know what it is about those creatures, but they look like fun! In my next life I am going to have goats, pigs and chickens. All of them “pets," of course. You know me. :-)

Boulderneigh said...

You're welcome for the photos included and the photos excluded, Elaine. 😉

Leigh said...

Michelle, your State Fair is amazing and your photos are fantastic. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the effort that went into posting them.

What device are you having trouble with? Camera? Smart phone? For all the benefits technology boasts, there's a lot of toil and frustration that go along with it.

Leigh said...

P.S. It seems that the reading list is now updating again!

Boulderneigh said...

The problem seems to be with my laptop (probably its operating system, which I can't update for functionality reasons) – not surprising since it is ten years old!

Anonymous said...

We were laughing because it always rains when we go to the fair. We went on the last Friday an it sprinkled off and on. My girls loved the petting zoo. We got a milkshake too, but we love the peach ones. Thanks for the photos.

Michelle said...

A little "Oregon sunshine" never hurt anyone, right? And some rain is so welcome in late summer!