Monday, September 14, 2026

Seeing our State Fair

As I told Leigh in response to her comment on my last post, the workaround to post my State Fair photos is a tedious and time-consuming one. But you all are worth it, right? Right?!? (Hint: this is your cue to leave a comment!😉)

From my first visit to my last, here are the best of the photos I took, with captions. Cooler weather than we sometimes have was kind to animals this year, so Rick had an easier time of it as state fair veterinarian – no overheated animals and less stress. The rain in the last few days put a damper on attendance, though, which probably stressed the management!

August 29
Mostly walking through and checking on livestock with Rick. 
Goats in Black
I hope this Nigerian doe won a prize!
What a funny haircut! I was told it was to make his too-small head look bigger.
This is a Spitti, a 'reverse' Valais Blacknose
The sow and piglets are a perennial crowd favorite. (There are 14!)
A Goliath Birdeater Tarantula – huge! (I spared you the snake photos)

August 31
A chance to visit my favorite sections – Creative Living and Visual Arts – while Rick worked on a colicking Percheron and checked the rest of the livestock.
Worth clicking to biggify; look at all the specific skills listed!
a cake decorated to look like counted cross stitch
I really should support this section with entries; I always forget.
Very  impressive weaving!
Reminds me of Texas Panhandle days; a Jackalope!
My people's choice vote went to the one in the middle.
Rick's field assistant restraining the patient

September 1
Brian and I drove down to meet up with Rick and his assistant to attend the Clint Black concert.
We had wood-fired pizzas for supper afterwards. 😋
September 6
Off to the fair early; we needed to go through all the petting zoo stock before the gates opened to issue health certificates.
staff were in the midst of replacing the shavings for the day
a girl and her heifer
this pig's legs were so fat it was hard to tell it was laying down
a girl and her pig
September 7 (Happy Labor Day!)
Five of us (Rick, Brian, me, Rick's field assistant and her brother) went in the afternoon to see Weird Al Yankovic in concert.
seen on the way in
Joined by Puddles, his opening act.
On our way out I saw this exhausted goat – a fitting image for The End.

No comments: