Friday, May 31, 2024

Uff da

I shouldn't have wondered what else this month might have in store for us. It has been quite a day – and week.

After working in town Tuesday-Thursday (my part-time job and covering Rick's office for his secretary) and trying to get the loud clunking in my car diagnosed (it refused to reveal itself to the technician – of course), today has been a whirlwind of at-home chores. I got up early to do the vet clinic payroll and review with Rick what he had gotten done on the garden water lines, then did barn chores, chopped thistles, trimmed and swept the front walkway, and worked to complete the water lines. Then I came inside, gathered a load of laundry, went to the basement where the washer is – and spotted a small puddle beside the upright freezer where we keep fruit. With dread I opened the door and found everything thawed. So I hauled all the dripping bags and containers upstairs, stashing what I could fit into our refrigerator/freezer and plotting how much I could use up for potluck dishes and supper (not nearly enough).

While doing all that, I was keeping my ears alert to chicken squawking through multiple windows opened for that purpose. Our next-door neighbor on the east lost one of her two hens to a raccoon Tuesday evening; I chased a raccoon away from the hen yard yesterday afternoon (my chickens had retreated, squawking, into the henhouse), and this morning I learned that last night our same neighbor beat off a raccoon that had grabbed her last hen by the rump and was trying to drag it over the fence. Good thing I was listening, because I did hear squawking, ran down and found a raccoon halfway up the 6' fence of the run! So yep, the hens got shut in early again, and will stay in until we have the chance to turn their run into Fort Knox.
Hens, still safe

Pullets, still safe
Believe it or not, on top of all that the power went out for over two hours late this afternoon. Since I couldn't do much else, I enjoyed the chance to SIT and spin for awhile, guilt-free!

On a more soothing note, my iris bouquet has been opening up to reveal rich, royal purple blooms. My little orchid is not only holding onto its three blossoms, it's developing more flower stalks. And after a long hiatus, my African violet is finally blooming again (unlike the African violets I cultivated at the office, which bloom non-stop thanks to regular feeding).







That's it for May from . . .

13 comments:

Leigh said...

Yikes, Michelle. Raccoons are not the kind of busy anybody wants! And oh, gosh, the freezer. I'm sorry to hear about that but glad your chickens are okay. Let's hope June is better!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

One year we had a lot of raccoons. Other years it was coyote, fox, and oppossum. Each year it's been different. Glad your chickens are okay.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Leigh; June is looking busy, too, so I guess I'll just keep paddling! Freezer failures are just the worst, because ours are always pretty full – of food we count on. And I discovered this one unusually late....

PWaH, it does seem like the wild animal population ebbs and flows. The ground squirrel and mouse invasions of just a few years ago have disappeared, and the deer population seemed to dip and is now coming back. We've always had raccoons around (they are why I stopped feeding birds at our deck feeder), but last year was the first time we had one get in and kill a chicken. Don't know if this year's problem is the same individual, but it is PERSISTENT. I'm a fan of protection by strong barriers, but the husbands are loading guns....

Sharrie Brockhaus said...


Seeing your beautiful display of African violets from your office has led me to try and find one to sit on my desk which has a north window. My grandmother always had beautiful African violets.

A :-) said...

Those office violets are looking awesome!!! Yay You!!! :-)

Crud, though, about the freezer. Repair or replace? A million years ago I had a small chest freezer in the basement of the house in Denver. It was so heavy I'm relatively sure it's probably still down there, likely along with the old octopus furnace that was covered in asbestos and would have taken tens of thousands of dollars to remove (safely) and replace.

And geez, I hate when you take the car in and then it won't make the noise. Although they did hear the noise on mine and it turned out to be an expensive day . . .

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying your latest post very much!

I'm so sorry you're having trouble with raccoon invading! It's good to know that you haven't lost any chickens this year! I like your expression about turning the chicken run into Fort Knox.

That's too bad about the freezer full of food completely thawed. Do you have a second freezer? Our only freezer, an upright, is in the shed in the back yard. It does very well, but is relatively new, compared to its predecessor, which was about 40-some years old!

Your spinning loos so lovely! That color is beautiful. Is it a natural gray?

Your iris bouquet is lovely, as your African violets and orchid.

Jeanne said...

My comment, done at 12:15, today, should not have showed up as "Anonymous" since I entered my name! Strange...

Mokihana said...

When we had chickens, we had raccoon problems, too. It was so frustrating! Squirrels at my suet feeders are one thing; raccoons after your chickens are much worse. I hope you can find a way to keep your girls safe.

Your flowers are so beautiful! I have one African Violet, but it blooms only rarely. I love the varieties that you have. And the iris...purple! Be still my heart!!

Michelle said...

Sharrie, I had no exposure to African violets before this office job. Then I bought myself a wee one for a pot I painted. A, who left the comment after yours, is a master JUDGE for African violets; she taught me long-distance how to propagate the neglected ones at the office.

A, those office violets are all because of you! We'll probably have to replace the freezer; it was used when we got it. And you would not BELIEVE the loud clunks my car had been making two days earlier!

Jeanne, we do have a chest freezer in the garage but it's full. The fiber I'm spinning is actually a hard-to-capture green called 'Fern.'

Michelle said...

Mokihana, the office violets get Schultz 8-14-9 African Violet Plus food in their once-weekly watering and they THRIVE! I need to get some for use at home.

A :-) said...

Well, you did the work. And seriously, you cannot imagine how many time I tell people what to do where their violets are concerned but they don't do it . . .

Mokihana - the most common reason that an African violet doesn't bloom again is that it's not getting enough light. They prefer bright, indirect light. If you're growing in natural like (in a window), I have found a north/northeastern exposure to be ideal :-) A lot also depends on when the last time the plant was repotted. :-)

Sharrie - see above - sounds like you have a good starting point with a northern exposure! :-)

Florida Farm Girl said...

Sorry to hear the raccoons have found your house. They are a real pain. I'm glad you can get your violets to bloom. Mine just keep growing plants and seldom bloom. I'm at the point I'm ready to get rid of them, even if I have to just dump them in the woods.

Donna Schoonover said...

That is quite a story Michelle. I hope you can keep your chickens safe.