Thursday, April 25, 2024

A flood of five

Five lambs, that is, and lots of photos in an ongoing effort to get better ones!





Tuesday all the ewes and lambs got turned out on pasture together for the first time. Bethany's hind legs had stabilized, the novelty of tiny new flock members had worn off,  and it was warm and sunny. I sat down in the pasture to get pictures of the youngest lambs, which in turn attracted the attention of former 'supplemental bottle babies' Bridget and Bauble. Shepherding doesn't get much better than this!
Can you spot all five lambs?







The older lambs have reached that stage of independence that prompts slipping under the gate to explore, much to their mothers' distress. Bud and Blossom were first intrigued by Chuckie, then by the deck mower. This time, Bitsy watched from the right side of the gate, but she's done her share of 'skipping class.'



My pastures overfloweth; I will have get serious about compiling a sales list. Yes, I'd like to keep them ALL, but don't have the space or pasture for that.

I have been busy skirting reserved fleeces so they can be sent off. I have been disappointed to varying degrees in the professionally sheared fleeces; at least one of them may not be salable. This is why it is so hard to give up the backbreaking effort of harvesting fleeces myself; when I'm done, I know I have a premium product to offer. The jury is still out on whether I will hire a shearer again, or upgrade my equipment.

Even though lambs and fleeces are taking center stage right now, there are other characters, bookended by morning views from our deck:

there was only ONE egg after this four-hen traffic jam 🙄

like beautiful Energizer bunnies






Poppy got to play with her sister Penny twice in one week!

Penny's people gave us a bunch of the most wonderful asparagus; half of it went into this dish

That's it for now from . . .

7 comments:

A :-) said...

Bethany's fleece - I know I said it before - but WOW! The photo with her tongue sticking out is just so perfect! I'm so sorry that the first experience with the shearer wasn't the best. Maybe keep looking around? Talk to other shepherds in the area? You usually go to Black Sheep, don't you? Maybe ask around there to get some names and trade experiences. Or, maybe talk to the shearar about what you really need because you sell your fleece - you can't be having a bunch of second cuts.

Michelle said...

A, I did talk to the shearer beforehand and know he shears for another Shetland breeder in the area. I'm not sure it's possible to shear the way a professional does, 'rolling' the sheep around, working fast with motorized clippers, without second cuts. And the timing – where the sheep is 'in the rise' – affects their result, for the same reason it slows me WAAAAY down. Still pondering....

Jeanne said...

I'm sorry your experience with having the shearer doing your shearing, was somewhat disappointing. I hope you can find a different one. A had a good suggestion, asking at Black Sheep to see who others in your area do the shearing.

Your pictures in this post are really nice! Thanks for sharing. Your orchid is lovely. Ours are just about finished with this bloom. It was fun to see the five small ones all blooming at the same time.Take care!

Leigh said...

Such sweet lambs. Always so cute! I appreciate your dilemma about a shearer. It's as hard to find quality services these days as it is quality products.

Chuckie is the show stealer though. Great photos all around!

Michelle said...

Jeanne and Leigh, I really don't blame the shearer; there is no way that a broad shearing head can avoid second cuts (or nicks) on a little Shetland body, and when the rise is just right (or just wrong), it is really hard to get get a clean pass through the fleece. There are only two other fine-fleeced Shetland sheep breeders in this region; one uses the shearer I just tried and the other shears their own. The Shetlands more typical of the U.S., which tend to be coarser, longer, and less crimpy, are easier to shear and thus getting recommendations from them wouldn't necessarily benefit me.

Alanna M said...

That's such a bummer that traditional shearing doesn't work for you! It seems so much easier but if it destroys your product that won't work.

Tim B. Inman said...

There's nothing much cuter than lambs. Brings back memories from a LONG way ago. If I were writing kid's stories, I could just see a Sheep Family Dinner - with all the old folks dressed up in their coats and jackets, and the little kids ready for the card table set up in the back room.

Sheep in jackets just makes me smile. Every time.

Cheers