Sunday, February 25, 2024

Udderly absent

Boop (and her lost twin) were born two years ago on March 4. Based on the lack of udder development, I don't think Boop or any of the other bred ewes will be lambing close to that date. Hopefully no one 'blossoms' quickly after that, as I don't think my MIL would be at all understanding of me begging out of photographing her wedding on the 8th. But like the weather and nearly everything else, que sera sera.

Speaking of blossoms, three mild, sunny days sprang some spring flowers. I also brought 'spring' inside, stuffing some cuttings from pruning the flowering plum into a vase and adding warm water. In the background, you can see the blooms on my wee orchid.








Last week I finally fulled my latest two rugs. They fluffed up wonderfully, being 100% wool. I like them both; time will tell if they get gifted or not. What to weave next? I wound all the remaining naturally-dyed yarn into balls to see what I have; the smaller pile on the left is finer gauge than the rest. I could use natural wool yarn to warp again, but am thinking about using black cotton yarn for more contrast, and also weaving a rug with the variated cotton. One of my weaving friends has convinced me to wind enough yarn to have a dummy warp; it sounds like a marvelous time-saving tool!






I've made progress spinning both my "Pink Grapefruit" and "Bay Breeze" into singles, but neither are likely to be finished by the end of the month. That's okay; there's no deadline. 😉

That's it for likely the last post of February from . . .

8 comments:

A :-) said...

So much of spring in your post today :-) Nothing is blooming here yet - but it was in the 50s again yesterday. I'm sure my daffodils are attempting to shoot up even further. Since we've been known to have snow in March/April, it does give me pause. But this has been a strange winter, weather-wise.

Michelle said...

Believe it or not, A, we could still get snow here, but probably not as commonly as you. We are back down into the 30s and 40s now for a few days and the nearby Cascade Mountains are getting a welcome dumping of snow.

thecrazysheeplady said...

You are on a roll! :-D

Michelle said...

It feels like it, Sara – and I love it!

Jeanne said...

Your crocus flowers are so beautiful. And the other flowers, too. My contorted filbert tree is covered with long catkins. It's really pretty!

Our weather is still goofy. Monday we had a power outage for four or more hours. Thankfully some friends invited us over for dinner, since they have a wood stove on their patio, so they can cook at times like that. She cooked a very good sausage and pasta dish, which also had a tasty tomato sauce in it. About nine p.m. the power came on, so when we got home afterward, we could warm the house. I turned my electric blanket on to warm my bed, since I was rather chilly.

Take care!

Michelle said...

I don't have very many crocus, Jeanne, but I just love their color and they are right outside my front door. The daffodils are much more widespread, many predating our purchase of this place. Sorry about your power outage; did you learn the cause?

Jeanne said...

I used to have a lot of crocus bulbs, but they're all gone now. There are a few daffodils and tulips.

No, we didn't learn what caused that loss of power on Monday. We're just thankful that it didn't last too long!

Mokihana said...

I love seeing your daffies and crocuses. The color contrast is wonderful! I really should get some crocus bulbs for next year. And your weaving and spinning are beautiful!