Saturday, February 03, 2024

Moving on to February

This self-imposed weekly posting schedule is working well for me. Without it, I would probably lapse for weeks, thinking I had nothing new to post, as indeed is the case. But this blog is my journal as much as it is sharing with those of you interested enough to follow and comment, and songs with multiple verses are still enjoyable. So here is this week's verse!

The latest rug has been cut off the loom, ends finished and fringe trimmed; it has yet to be fulled. I love everything about it, and may very well keep it, but who knows? I might like the next one even better! I've started winding the warp for the next rug I have in mind, but may not have enough of the three colors of yarn I chose. If not, I'll formulate another plan.


There has been another flurry of 'domesticity,' finally pushed to the top of the list by this little explosion of black fleece from Bijou's coat. What started as a couple of little holes merged into a big hole, and the only coats I had that would fit Bijou were in the mending pile. So I got out my Featherweight and went to work last Sunday, making 11 coats serviceable again before I ran out of thread on the 12th. I've now got more thread and will probably do another mending marathon tomorrow; I have a LOT of sidelined sheep suits!

The constant rain has abated, and we've actually seen the sun a few times this week. One day while I was riding Stella in the arena, a neighbor sent a text message to all of us on our gravel lane, "Look at the lenticular cloud on Mt. Hood!" I couldn't see my favorite mountain from the arena, so was glad when the neighbor followed up his words with the photo below:

Inside the house, all the buds have opened on my wee orchid:
While it is often true that the cobbler's children have no shoes, this week my veterinarian husband has been quick to grant my requests. Stella continues to be a very tense, hot horse, and although part of that is in her genes, I want to be sure there are no other causative agents.  So yesterday Rick checked her teeth, which needed to be 'floated' (removing sharp points that develop from the side-to-side motion of chewing) and we started her on a daily hormone treatment that sometimes helps mares settle down.

Happy Sabbath morning from . . .

8 comments:

Sharrie Brockhaus said...

I have a stack of coat to repair, too. I have to be in the right mood to do it, and it hasn't hit recently. I am currently relearning how to weave, and it has occupied much of my time. BUT.....I think my pregnant ewes need some new clothes, so I will probably have to get going and do some mending.

Michelle said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that lets them stack up, Sharrie. But once I start, I get on a roll!

Leigh said...

That's a stack of mending! Makes for a good cold or rainy weather project though.

Your rug turned out really well. I can see why you like it. I'm so hoping to get my floor loom set up soon so I can weave some rugs too.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Leigh; I'm making progress on the stack of mending AND using up the free wool yarn I have sitting around!

A :-) said...

Weaving is going to make a great dent in your stash! So glad that Stella got some vet care, and I really hope that the hormones might help her relax a bit. Your orchid looks wonderful! Do you use orchid bark as your potting medium?

Michelle said...

A, I have no idea about the specific potting media of my orchids. If they start to look puny or crowded, I take them to a local floral/plant business which repots them for a very reasonable cost. I just water them, and they seem to like their spot on the pie safe!

Jeanne said...

Your rug is beautiful!

Your little orchid is beautiful! We have three little orchids blooming right now. Two are purple and the other is a greenish yellow. It's really quite pretty. We use orchid potting soil, when we transplant them.

How nice of Rick to give Stella the care that she needed.

Michelle said...

Thanks for the compliments, Jeanne! I wish my other orchids would rebloom; the littlest one is the over-achiever of the lot.