Tuesday, December 19, 2023

A little downtime


I could have, and probably should have, spent today in high gear, or at least making steady progress on the long list of things that should, or at least could, have been done. There are still a lot of apples on my Braeburn tree that could be put into jars as applesauce to feed us, ever-present indoor and outdoor clean-up to do, holiday goodies not (yet?) made that would be greatly appreciated, yarn to be wound for any number of knitting projects. But with my mom arriving late tonight followed by a daily commitment of goings and doings until she leaves early next Wednesday, I only did what I really needed to do: wash a load of clothes; put away some groceries bought yesterday along with assorted flotsam and jetsam cluttering counters and table; order a last couple of Christmas gifts online and wrap a couple others; vacuum the guest space in the daylight basement, change the sheets on the guest bed, and ready the bathroom; practice my part for our church Christmas program; and ride Stella (yes, that's a need, not a want at this point; she has not been a pleasant partner in this cooped-up season). I also plied the colorful sample that came with my newest spindle, a Jenkins Merlin (Ed's first and larger six-armed design for which I put my name on the wait list at OFFF) while listening to The Underworld: Journeys to the Depths of the Ocean by Susan Casey. (Here's a plug for every book of hers I've listened to!) This is self-care; I needed this quiet island of solitude and calm before the sea of seasonal busy-ness in the form of much-loved family members washes over us.




With that taken care of....
Now Dasher! Now Dancer! Now Prancer and Vixen!
(Hmmm; I think that whole first line was written about Stella!)
On Comet! On Cupid! On Donner and Blitzen!

"Are you talking to us???"

Merry Christmas to all from . . .

6 comments:

Leigh said...

Wow, even your needful-things list was pretty long! 'Tis the season, I reckon. Busy times, but good for you for taking time for self-care! Also appreciate the audiobook recommendation. I love listening to books while I weave, and am always looking for something interesting to add to my list.

A :-) said...

Way to practice self-care, Michelle. I'm glad you took some time before the storm. It's absolutely not selfish - it's critical!! I hope you have a wonderful time with your mom. Merry Christmas, my friend :-)

Tim B. Inman said...

I'm ready for a season of calm, too! For an old guy living alone in the middle of a giant Iowa cornfield, life has just been a whirlwind of busy busy for me this fall. I'm ready for that quiet time. I get it. Good for you!

One of my apple trees looks just like yours. I picked a few in October and put them on a tray in my kitchen. Stuff happened, and they are still there. Much to my amazement, they almost feel 'oily' and seem to be really good keepers. Maybe next year I'll actually put some in the cellar for later. Maybe.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and yours - and a quiet hush all around you.

Cheers

Michelle said...

Leigh, Susan packs a lot of information, science, and personal experience into her fascinating books. The other two I've listened to are "The Wave" and "The Devil's Teeth." I hope you have access to them – and a Merry Christmas!

And to you, A! (Thanks for reaching out to our mutual blog pal; loved getting the long catch-up email!)

Tim, our homegrown apples typically have that waxy feel. I just picked a five-gallon bucketful of good ones and there's still a lot more out there.

Jeanne said...

Oh my! I missed finding this post until this morning! Oops! I still have not been able to get your blog sent to my address. I'll try again. Very enjoyable reading, as always.

I'm happy for you, that your mom came for a visit. Its too bad she's so far away. Have a wonderful time together.

Have a blessed Christmas!

Mokihana said...

I'm glad your mom could come and stay for a bit; I expect she went home today. Your spinning is lovely...are those called cops on the spindles? And of course, the spindles are gorgeous! I'm glad you had some mindful self-care times during all the busyness of the season. Happy New Year!